Anomaly scan today - 2 placentas??!!

X5OT

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has this / heard of it? We had our anomaly scan this morning and I was told that the main placenta is posterior, but there is a smaller anterior placenta. The exact wording on the report is;

'The placenta was identified on the posterior wall and a separate small succenturiate lobe was identified on the anterior wall'

All fine with the baby though, and consultant not concerned :D He just said he would keep monitoring it on my scans (we have a scan each time we see our consultant for ante-natal appts) to check if the 2 placentas are linked by another cord. If they are linked, then there is more chance of the baby getting caught up in it.

Next scan at 25 weeks ...

aww hope babys ok no chance of 2 babys then or was?

enn said:
aww hope babys ok no chance of 2 babys then or was?

Hi - baby is fine and I'm not worried about it at all - more just curious! I had scans at 6 weeks, then 8, 12, 17, 20, 22 weeks. Never more than one baby spotted, even early scans.

fothers said:
It will have lots of nutrients!

LOL! No kidding! Every scan we have had our consultant has commented on how active the baby is. And the past week it feels like it is active ALL THE TIME!!! Hope that doesn't mean LO will never sleep once born!!!

I've heard of it, although its not that common, it only occurs in 0.18% of pregnancies.

As long as your Consultant is keeping an eye on it, everthing should be fine. You will need to inform your Midwife about this condition straight away when in labour, because it can rupture. It may also require manual removal as they have a tendency not to come away spontaneously.

Rachael said:
I've heard of it, although its not that common, it only occurs in 0.18% of pregnancies.

As long as your Consultant is keeping an eye on it, everthing should be fine. You will need to inform your Midwife about this condition straight away when in labour, because it can rupture. It may also require manual removal as they have a tendency not to come away spontaneously.

Yay!! Someone who has heard of it :D Yes, consultant is going to keep an eye on it. We will have a scan with each of our ante natal appts (all with consultant). Our consultant will be leading the labour and doing the delivery (or c-section if needed) so should all be ok :D Let me know if you read / find out anything else about it - I can't find much on the internet.

Erm ... what does 'manual removal' involve?? :shock:

could involve cutting u open as they would do with c section init? and take it out then. think thats what they mean :shock:

enn said:
could involve cutting u open as they would do with c section init? and take it out then. think thats what they mean :shock:

:shock: Gosh - I hope not!!

I think it would involve them needing to put a hand in through your cervix if it didn't all come away to locate the other bit. Don't panic though as it might not happen :hug:

When my OH's Mum had her youngest she had 2 placentas. In those days they did not do scans and things and she had a normal birth. It was just after that they realised.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back