anaemic

claire2711

Reaction score
hey gals!

just wondering if any of you are on iron tablets for anaemia?found out on friday so im now on 3 tabs a day. GP said being aneamic can lead to more blood loss during birth, so i thought they would test me between then and now to make sure tabs are working?

if they arent, im worried about how much blood im gonna lose! when i asked if id be checked to make sure im not aneamic before giving birth, she said "no, they should work fine"

im prob being paranoid AS USUAL lol :moon: but its worrying me now! also, does anyone know if being aneamic can cause bubs to come early or anything?

oh my god iv just read what i've written, about 20 questions to do with aneamia lol!! sorry girls x x x x x :angel:

:wave: I can't answer your questions unfortunately but I'm just waiting for test results for anaemia as my count was a little low last time they checked.....I'm still taking pregnacare with iron in at the moment. xx

I'm anaemic too - and i've been on two tablets a day for a few weeks now. My last tests came back anaemic still! I'm not suprised though, i've been anaemic most of my life!

I'm having a homebirth - and they are allowing me to even with anaemia so it can't be that bad a problem!

Generally from what I read they haven't been able to prove a link between anaemia and bad blood loss. Obviously the more blood you lose the more iron you lose so maybe you will feel rougher after the birth!

If you're on three tablets a day then don't worry! You are being 'treated' for the aneamia and your iron levels will be a lot better if not perfectly fine!

Some tips for you:

ORANGE JUICE - it helps the absorption of iron so take your tablets with orange juice.

Eat all of your meals with orange juice (as in with a glass of it beside you, lol)

DON'T drink tea/coffee with meals or iron tablets - as they stop iron being absorbed...

and i say go buy some chocolate and enjoy yourself!!!

P.S don't worry at all! Anaemia in pregnancy is very common!

I found out I am slightly aneamic the other week. Levels should be about 110 and I am 107. The Dr prescribed 2 tablets a day, which my midwfe said was ridiculous as I was only slightly under and she told me to just take one a day. I'll also be retested at my next MW appointment to check the levels again.

Just ask your mw to test again after you've been taking them for a couple of weeks or at your next appointment to see how your levels are.

On the nutrition front, avoid eating iron rich foods with calcium rich foods - the calcium binds to the iron inhibiting the iron absorption. Oh, and bulk up on your wholegrains and have lots of water, otherwise if you are on 3 a day you are likely to be very very constipated.

hth

L xxx

i know here, ladies iron levels are tested at 28 and 36 weeks. check with your mw if they will be re-doing them around them?

mines was a little on the low side last time, but i chose not to take the tablets, i've just been eating more red meat, orange juice etc.

i'm sure if you ask for your blood to be re-tested in a few weeks they will do it hun :hug:

I was aneamic throughout my pregnancy and I still am to this day. I didn't have any problems with blood loss and I didn't bleed very heavy after either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back