am i blowing this out of proportion?

ceris

Reaction score
my father in law was sat in my pub the other day, so i bent down to kishim on the cheek to say hello, and when i stood back up, he kissed my little bump????

i felt so weird and uncomfortable....

am i being out of order, or is that not normal???

my husband has not even kissed my bump??? it just makes me cringe when i think about it... it feels like a boundary crossed... or am i making a big deal out of nothing?

i have not said anything to him as i wasn't sure if i was in the wrong or him?
xxx

I think I would deffo feel a bit uncomfortable if my FIL kissed my bump but thats because we arent very close! He's probaly just really excited about becoming a grandad and thats his way of showing it...even though a little inappropriate just dodge him next time! xx

I think I would deffo feel a bit uncomfortable if my FIL kissed my bump but thats because we arent very close! He's probaly just really excited about becoming a grandad and thats his way of showing it...even though a little inappropriate just dodge him next time! xx

my sister said i should just knee him in the nose next time!!! thought that was a bit drastic though!

I think you're overreacting, it's sweet that you have parents-in-law that obviously care so much about their future grandchildren (I'm sure you'd be more upset if your FIL didn't show any sign of interest). Is it their first grandchild?

Having said that, my husband kisses my bump and talks to it all the time so that level of affection doesn't faze me at all, even from parents-in-law.

If it makes you really uncomfortable, why don't you ask your husband to gently talk to your FIL and tell him that although you're both really pleased that they're so happy that you're having a child, kissing the bump makes you feel really shy and embarrassed. That would be a much more diplomatic way of handling the situation than having an aggressive argument, trying to tell them off or otherwise souring relations with people who may become a very fun and important part of your child's life :)

Last edited:
Think I would feel a bit uncomfortable too! I know you get lots of hands on the bump, you kind of expect that but a kiss? I'd probably only expect from my hubby, I'd be freaked if it was my own dad lol! Prob best to just dodge him next time, or get your hubby to make a joke out of it to let him know your not comfortable but without hurting his feelings too much, like pringle said he's probably just really excited and as you were in the pub he prob had one too many as well and didn't think before reacting!

I think your bump is a very personal thing & people presume it's ok to touch. Luckily most people I know have asked permission to touch before they have. I think it's more the shock element when you don't expect it. I would mention it to OH to see if he can tactically mention it to your FIL. Nobody means to offend, but if it makes you feel uncomfy, you should not have to just shut up & put up hun x

Sunnyb xxx

I would be mortified if it was me in that situation!!
I would leave it for now though, as to noy kick up a fuss, but do mention it to your OH but not to make such a big deal out of it, just tell him you thought it was a bit weird and didn't like him doing it. Then if it happens again, at least your OH will know how you feel and possibly bring it up with your FIL right there and then, if he doesn't, tell him afterwards. Like the others have said, it could of just been because he'd had a couple to drink so I wouldn't kick up too much of a fuss. Leave it for a possible 'next time' (hard i know!!) but at least give him the benefit that it was just a one off. Good luck, I would of freaked out completely!!! Only my OH does anything more than touch my bump and even then i'm a bit iffy about other people putting the hands on it but i'm starting to get used to it now xxx

this is.... strange! I would def feel very uncomfortable! Has he had a bit too much to drink maybe?... Have you said anything to your husband? Was just wondering if he would think it was normal.

Even if my own dad did that I'd think it was weird!! Talk about invading your personal space :shock: x

There are only two people i let Kiss my jelly belly and thats my BF and my sister, im really clsoe to her and she is the most excited about me being pregnant when she found out at 6weeks she made me lie on the floor so she could talk to it and she does this everytime i see her (2-3times a week) im ow 13+3 so im getting used to it. she doesnt actually kiss it she cups her hands round her mouth talks to it and then when she says bye tells it how much she loves it and cant wait to meet it then says a few mwah's at the end, i think its cute and it makes me feel great about being pregnant but like i say i am really close to her (i shaved her legs when she was due with hers) but i wouldnt feel comfortable about anyone else doing it.
xx

Thanks ladies!! will talk to husband later and will mention it!! xxx

Yeah that would def make me feel uncomfortable - even if my own Dad did it!! I think once your bump gets more noticeable people just presume its ok to feel you up basically and I think its bang out of order. I'm an assistant manager in a shop and I had a customer come in, was just chatting to at first and then she spotted the bump and started stroking it asking me how far gone I was, I felt so invaded I just wanted to smack her!! I guess everybody's different, some people are totally cool with it, but if you felt uncomfortable or violated or whatever then there's nothing wrong with that at all. Think you are right in speaking to ur hubby bout it :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back