Am I a crap mum?

pinkymum

Reaction score
I feel so guilty but I feel so relieved when Emily finally sleeps through the day. I think she has colic and she's just constantly upset whenever she's awake. She just seems so unhappy and I'm trying everything I can to try and make her feel better :(
She just went down just now and my first thought was thank god I can eat now! Most nights she only wakes for 2 feeds and goes back to sleep although she was awake for a few hours last night.
I just feel bad for thinking "phew she's sleeping"

Oh god, you're not a bad mum at all we've all been there, and still are some days.

I remember when Oscar used to cluster feed in the evenings and i couldn't even put him down to eat, my OH used to have to make me food that I could eat with 1 hand it was that bad.

She's still so brand new and just wants lots of cuddles, esp if she's colicy, but you do get exhausted and start to resent the constant need for attention and then you feel guilty which makes you feel worse. I couldn't even have a bath without Oz screaming, even though he was with his dad he just always wanted his mum!

You're so not alone hun and in the grand scheme of things that newborn phase goes so quickly, I know it doesn't seem it when so sleep deprived, but I feel it passed in a blur and was only saying to OH last night how I miss my 'baby' baby I wish I'd taken it all in more!

Sending you massive :hugs: xxxxxx

I STILL think this now! Paige has gone to sleep just now and Im deseperatly hoping she sleeps for an hour, because its an hour to relax and just chill.

I really feel for you with the colic. Paige had it pretty bad for about 3/4 months and sometimes she'd be upset for days :( Have you tried anything to help it i.e. infacol, dentinox etc?

:hug: Youre not a bad mum at all. Mummys need rest and relaxation just as your LO does. x

you're not a bad mum whatsoever!!! you need 'you' time too! when my lo goes down for the night i almost breathe a sigh of relief (not in a bad way) as it means me and OH can spend some time together! we're so involved with marley, feeding, eating, playing, bathing, and on top of house work and oh's job etc we barely have time to just be with each other! i love my lo to bits, and hes asleep now which means i can spend soemtime online without feeling guilty that he isnt getting my attention!!

i know how you feel as my lo suffered with colic so bad, and it seemed to magically dissapear after about 4 or 5 months (i dont remember exactly now) and he was like a different baby!!! im sure it will pass for you lo soon enough! keep your chin up, you're doing a great job! being a mummy is the hardest but most rewarding thing in the world, i had just no idea how hard yet rewarding it would be!

Definitely NOT a bad mummy! I still think this sometimes, especially now ella-rose is crawling, its so draining being on constant alert! Xxx

Definitely not! It's such a relief when Lily sleeps, like a little window to get other normal things done like eat, put some washing in, wash up - we probably ALL feel like that!

I feel the same when LO goes to sleep for his nap during the day,, i think thank god for that!! then i can get a few bits and bobs sorted. So your not a crap mum chickxxxxxxxxxx

Don't be silly!!! I still think now how I can't wait until nap time so I can go do something for myself!! Lol
Your doing a brill job x x

Thanks girls, I don't feel so bad knowing that its not just me haha!

Don't get me wrong I adore her, just wish she wasn't so unhappy.
Mel I got some infacol on Friday so I've been using that. She's a month old next Friday so I'll be able to use gripe water from then.

Thanks again ladies, dunno what i'd do with you all :D

I bought the anti-colic bottles. They're expensive but we haven't had any colic/wind problems since (touch wood!) x

I bought the anti-colic bottles. They're expensive but we haven't had any colic/wind problems since (touch wood!) x

Louise I'm considering getting the dr Brown ones, is that the ones you have?

She's sleeping upstairs, I have the monitor and sensor mat and I'm having a blue wkd.........secomd drink since I had her and its lovely :)

x

Im so glad im not the only mum who thinks this, my baby gets trapped wind so bad he just screams and screams and sometimes I think I cant cope :(

Im so glad im not the only mum who thinks this, my baby gets trapped wind so bad he just screams and screams and sometimes I think I cant cope :(

:hugs:

its difficult huh? I feel bad for her, then I feel bad for me :eh:

My mum was telling me my cousin was really bad with colic for months and my auntie got some sort of homeopathic crystals from the health visitor? Don't know much about it but will be talking to her this week!

x

oh hun your a fab mum so dont ever think your a bad mummy!! xx

dealing with a new baby is hard work and i think harder for you because you are doing it all on your own most of us can pass the baby to dad for a break so i take my hat off to you, keep on with the infacol before every feed wind for a good amount of time after each feed too also if they still have wind some babies get what looks like a grey skin moustache weird i know lol a deep bath works too so putting your lo in the bath so she has her head and shoulders out of the water dont know how it works but it works for us :)

Nope you are normal! I sometimes wish time away until bedtime. Isla
can be very trying sometimes. It does get easier, but by the looks of it by the other comments above it's going to last a long time! Lol

Your certainly not alone! I went through this, Drake had colic and it was the same time every evening and it's so hard when your on your own (hubby was coming home and going to the gym every night!) I could not put him down AT ALL. I'd be pacing the living room, my back killing me, I'd be starving, exhausted and to the brink of crying. I used to breathe a sigh of relief when he'd sleep! It does get better though Hun, I can't believe that my 8 month old used to be like that, he's so so happy now and a lot easier! Sure I look forward to him sleeping but that's natural when your with them constantly. If anything it's a chance to finally have a proper HOT cuppa! Lol

:) youve all cheered me up, that and the fact Emily has been sleeping since half 7!
I just keep telling myself this won't last forever and that helps too!
Midnight I bathed her tonight, made it deeper and warmer and she really enjoyed being in the water this time :) ok she screamed when she came out till she was dressed and given her bottle but it has seemed to help! I'm going to switch formula tomorrow as well, see if that makes a difference!

Thank you all, really makes a difference :)
I don't ever feel like I have the right to complain about being on my own because I chose to do it this way :/ I had a good idea of what was ahead of me too!

Oh midnight I was going to say she gets that blue/grey moustache thing! Mum said it was wind but I wasn't sure of she was talking crap or not (poor mum)
I'm making sure I wind her during feeds as well, was told to do so in the hospital because she was spitting up a lot!
Since using the infacol she's been giving bigger burps, but she still seems windy and has that moustache :lol:

Your not alone, You have us :hugs: I know we can't be there for you in person but we can offer support and to be a friend who understands from afar. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back