Agh... Why don't people understand!

Lolly85x

Reaction score
I'm not going to let my baby choke!!!
Round at the in-laws and W is having lunch. He's had an Ella's Kitchen cheesey pie pouch and a yoghurt. He's sitting in his car seat, and I give him a prune to eat. He takes it and starts gumming away at it. He loves them. FIL is practically having a melt down incase he shoves it all in his mouth and chokes!! It's not his 1st prune, it's not got a stone in it, he loves them, he's sitting next to me, I'm watching him. He's not going to choke!!
So FIL take prune off him and puts it in bin :(

I would have given him another prune LOL!

xxxxxxx

^^ me too! I think if they are really pissing you off then maybe get them a book on BLW so they understand. Or just tell them your child your way! X

I think the older generation dont understand BLW and therefore the idea of giving them a book is a great one. It's nice he cares so much, but if be proper annoyed if FIL did that to me. Should have had a quiet word in Ws ear, got him to shout at him :) xx

I'd give them the book to read. I know a LOT of folk (and not just older generation) who are terrified of choking.m

In lucky in that my in laws pretty much go with the flow, - cloth nappies, BLW, etc. but if they are gonna be looking after LO I think you do have to make some concessions sometimes if certain things do make them GENUINELY uncomfy - there are plenty of mums on here who don't want to do BLW for fear of choking and it's a lot to ask someone else to be responsible for that if it really worries them.

That said I'd def have a word about removing something you've given him while you are sitting there!!!

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I would have given him another one, I get angry when people think they can interfere! X

My mum and dad don't like the idea that I give Mia finger foods. Mum doesn't feel comfortable with it so won't do it when she has her. They say things like she's too young etc. she actually enjoys feeding herself far more than me feeding her xx

I would never give him finger food for someone else to feed him. I totally understand that people worry. He just totally over reacted and made me feel rubbish.
I mix weening, and he's doing really well.
I never had another prune with me, but I gave him a strawberry. And his auntie my SIL came in and sat holding him when eating it and she said how good he was doing, as her daughter wouldn't even hold good at that age. He just gums it to shreds :( I think I'll look into getting a book too xx

It's so tough when the older generation doubt us as parents because we seek there approval a lot of the time especially if they are our parents.

If you can't get a book hun could you show them something off the internet?

I had to get my FIL a book as he is a doctor and wouldn't stop nagging DH about how dangerous BLW is!! Xx

I gave Aaron a wotsit out of my bag today to see what would happen.

He waved it about a bit then chucked it at me. So I put it in his mouth for him and he spat it at me :rotfl:

Clearly a lazy baby:lol:

Don't even get me started with ranting about this. We do pure BLW and both my parents and my in-laws have been weird about it. My MIL said I was torturing her because she wasn't able to actually eat anything in the early days and was just playing with the food. Babies don't even know that the food makes them not hungry until they are about 9 months old. My Mum and Dad have been strange about it too... but they are getting more comfy with it the more they see it, and are actually OK with it now. I think they are a bit more anxious than I am, but I'm pretty laid back about it. I would have been furious if my FIL or anyone else had taken the food off Tilly - that's just them showing how little they trust you as a parent. Drives me nuts whenever someone suggests that I'm not doing the best for Tilly.

I'd agree with the others and say get him the Gill Rapley book to read or something. There are lots of websites too. xxx

I have a phobia of choking, even watching an actor on tv choking terrifies me but I can see why you would be massively peeved hun.
The book sounds like a good idea.
I bought a fruit sack for lo, it's a compromise as I see it. He gets to feed himself and handle his own food but I can relax knowing that he can't choke! xx

I gave Aaron a wotsit out of my bag today to see what would happen.

He waved it about a bit then chucked it at me. So I put it in his mouth for him and he spat it at me :rotfl:

Clearly a lazy baby:lol:

Haha. I need to let W have a lick at one. I really recommend the organix carrot puffs. Like giant wotsits. Good size for them to hold ;) I'm sure Aaron would love to throw it at you xx

It just feels like because I'm not doing thing the same way as my SIL done, I'm doing 'wrong'
I always offer W a puréed meal and some finger foods. He loves sucking on toast. And strawberrys etc... I will look into the book.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back