• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

After birth

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
Hey mums :wave:
Just a few questions really about how you feel physically after birth.

How long were you sore for and what sort of pain is it? An ache, sting etc?
How long did you bleed for?
Is the first poo really THAT bad?! (sorry!)
What are the "after pains" like?
If you had stitches do they dissolve or do you have to have them taken out?
And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? (sorry! told you it was a stupid question!)

Sorry these are probably very weird and pointless questions but I'm curious!

Thankyou in advance for any replies :hug:

How long were you sore for and what sort of pain is it? An ache, sting etc? mine was a constant kinda throbbing pain, and then it just kinda drifted off, and now thank god the pain is gone!!!
How long did you bleed for? I bled for about 5weeks, it was really light at the end though.
Is the first poo really THAT bad?! (sorry!) I was sooooo scared!! but ya cant avoid it, and i just took it slowly lol :lol: it's not too bad and ya just gotta get it over with
What are the "after pains" like? all i had was the pain on my whole downstairs area....i had a ventouse and episiotomy with stitches, kept taking paracetamol which really helped.
If you had stitches do they dissolve or do you have to have them taken out? mine were dissolvable, no-one bothered to tell me that, but I guessed it when I saw them on the toilet roll LOL
And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? (sorry! told you it was a stupid question!) mine didnt, but i was careful. plus i was on iron tabs which makes poo tiny :lol:

Dont worry, you'll be fine! All of this is worth it when you have your LO

hope this helps!! :hug:

How long were you sore for and what sort of pain is it? An ache, sting etc? I found it to be stingy soreness with swelling

How long did you bleed for?Cant remember exactly, probably about two weeks

Is the first poo really THAT bad?! (sorry!)It wasnt nice at all i sat there for ages :lol: , i had stitches and i was worried about them. However it wasnt that bad in the end. I had to go as it kinda put pressure on down there :oops:

What are the "after pains" like? They were fine TBH, just noticed a pulling feeling whilst breastfeeding

If you had stitches do they dissolve or do you have to have them taken out?Mine were disolvable :)

And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? (sorry! told you it was a stupid question!)Dont know TBH but i am sure its highly unlikely :)

Sort of a sting, like a cut healing (I had a 2nd degree tear). I didn't find it constant.

Heavily for the first week and then basically just spotting for the next 4 or 5.

No it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and felt like I'd really achieved something after :lol:

Occasional cramps but very mild.

They dissolved.

And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? (sorry! told you it was a stupid question!)

Nope, mine didn't and I was told not to worry about this as they stitch you up well!

How long were you sore for and what sort of pain is it? An ache, sting etc? Probably a week or two. Felt a bit sore and stung a little but didn't really notice especially with thick maternity pads.
How long did you bleed for? Quite a while, about 8 weeks I think :?
Is the first poo really THAT bad?! (sorry!) Not really as far as I remember. You always think it's gonna be worse than it is.
What are the "after pains" like? Like strong period pains, esp when breastfeeding, but a couple of paracetamol/ibuprofen sorted that out.
If you had stitches do they dissolve or do you have to have them taken out? They dissolved.
And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? No I think they are meant to hold but try not to get constipated.

How long were you sore for and what sort of pain is it? An ache, sting etc? I'm still sore, but I grazed, got cut, tore my bowel muscle AND had a 3rd degree tear (which means you split from vagina to anus causing there to just be one huge gaping hole rather than 2 separate holes! lol, lovely!)

How long did you bleed for? I'm still bleeding a bit, but I'm breastfeeding.

Is the first poo really THAT bad?! (sorry!) The fear of pooing is MUCH worse than the poo itself!! Just ask for loads of laxatives, that way you don't have to use the "pushing" muscle which you used in labour (which is very tired and worn out and will also take a bit of time to recover!)

What are the "after pains" like? I don't really know what you mean?! :think: Sometimes while Im breastfeeding I'll get bad cramps where my uterus is contracting back..

If you had stitches do they dissolve or do you have to have them taken out? They do dissolve, BUT I had to have one removed because it didn't dissolve properly...

And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? (sorry! told you it was a stupid question!) It's not a stupid question!! I'm pretty sure I have split a stitch.. My HV has told me to make a doc appt this week so they can check me over. She said it can happen, but is rare x

lauranjamesnbaby said:
Hey mums :wave:
Just a few questions really about how you feel physically after birth.

About 2-3 weeks. I had bad incontinence which used to aggravate my stitches terribly. Also it was so swollen down there for about a week. It wasn't an ache or a sting. It just hurt. For me as I have nerve damage also it was like a weird numb pain. I can't really describe.

About 10 days (I let the cord stop pulsing and breastfed, both meant to aid bleeding stopping sooner)

I didn't even feel my first poo. Nor the second. Or third. I didn't even feel my piles the first week or so. As I said, nerve damage (and please don't think that nerve damage is possibly a good thing to happen during labour for afterwards, it really isn't).

Didn't really have any.

And no, not that I am aware of.

I had a c section so my answers might be a bit different :D

How long were you sore for and what sort of pain is it? An ache, sting etc? My c section scar is still a little sore and the pain is a burning pain when moving too quickly.
How long did you bleed for? Still sort of bleeding now although it has moved into the brown stage so hopefully won't be too long.
Is the first poo really THAT bad?! (sorry!) I found my bowel cramped when I went to the loo which made things quite painful, I just took things slowly.
What are the "after pains" like? I didn't really get any but was on painkillers whilst in hospital. I have felt my womb shrinking a bit because of breastfeeding but it wasn't really a pain just a weird feeling.
If you had stitches do they dissolve or do you have to have them taken out? No idea about my stitches, I assume they are dissolvable ones.
And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? (sorry! told you it was a stupid question!) lol I think this is a question for ladies with stitches down there but if you're worried you could take the stuff which softens your poo :D

IT DIDN'T/DOESN'T HURT... IT WAS JUST A BIT TENDER SITTING DOWN FOR THE 1ST 2-3 DAYS

STILL AM BUT IT'S LIGHT

I DIDN'T FIND IT SORE

DIDN'T HAVE ANY

DIDN'T HAVE THE JOYS OF STITCHES SORRY

:rotfl: SORRY BUT THAT QUESTION MADE ME GIGGLE!

Thankyou girls and thankyou Mildly for sharing your experience, I never even thought about what its like after a c section but its always a possibility I could end up having one as no one knows how birth will be and its always best to be prepared for after both a natural and c section delivery. :hug: :hug:

How long were you sore for and what sort of pain is it? Mine was sore for about 5 days then it turned into more of a really bad itch whilst it was healing

How long did you bleed for? 4 weeks

No, good tip, hold a wad of tissue of sanitary pad over your 'wound' whilst you go, it relieves the pressure a bit.

What are the "after pains" like? I only had a few crampy tummy pains for a few hours after my son was born and then nothing!

If you had stitches do they dissolve or do you have to have them taken out? They dissolve

And this is a really stupid question but if you have stitches can they burst when you go for a poo? (sorry! told you it was a stupid question!) It's not stupid.... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but mine did (i must be the only one!) i had a 3rd degree tear, bowel tear from forceps and a very long episiotomy going into my bum muscle, i had stitches from all angles.. Mine started to 'gape' as the midwife said after a few days, not from pooing though, from washing too hard!!! Nobody told me just showering with water would be fine to clean it, so there was i dabbing with cotton wool when i shouldn't be... sorry tmi!!! so don't do this...

after i gave birth i felt like i'd had a heavy, heavy weekend raving! i was weak, felt really fragile and delicate like i was made of lace, lol and thirsty and generally achey and a bit spaced out! lol.

the only sting was when i went to the loo for a wee. it hurt to sit down (and to walk at first, i had a swagger for a day or 2 lol!) felt really bruised and tender i had to lower myself down gently lol.

i bled properly for about 2 weeks, then tiny amounts on and off for a further 4 weeks.

the first poo was NOT that bad at all. i was petrified about it i was absolutely dreading it, and barely ate anything so i wouldnt need to go lol. i put it off for 4 days! on the 5th day i did one and it didnt hurt at all. i was more frightened vits of my fanny would fall out, actually rather than the pain!

after-pains felt like very, very, mild contractions but i only got them while breast-feeding. it helped knowing that it meant my tummy was shrinking back lol.

i was worried about stitches bursting but they didnt, they dissolved within a week.

I had a dull ache down below. It took me ages to recover, but that was because of the forceps delivery - they had to get him out REALLY quickly in the end.

6 weeks.

Er, yeah. I was terrified, and kept trying and then putting it off for another day. I ended up holding wads of moist toilet tissue against myself and crying. Again, however, I didn't have the best birth experience - plus I was taking a LOT of codeine, which causes constipation, so generally my odds of a fantastic first poo wasn't great!

I only had them for an hour or so, and they were just like period pains. Birth centre gave me a heated wheatgrass pack, and it was brilliant.

Mine dissolved.

Absolutely no idea; I was concerned too but never asked, I just used the wads of tissue to take off some of the pressure.

First week was sore, the worst of it on the first 2 days. The next 2-3 weeks were uncomfortable, as in pressure on my stiches if I stood for too long

2 1/2 weeks

Not at all, it was just normal although I thought it would be!!

I dont know, I didnt have any

Dissolved

No

I had a C-section too, but as you said, it's good to be prepared in case you have one:

Around 3 weeks, then I was able to do some housework and get around pretty well. My scar is still tender to the touch but doesn't hurt assuch.

4 weeks

It was difficult to push it out at first, esp as I'd been a bit constipated pre-birth, but after the first one there was no stopping me :lol: After a C-section your bowel is quite active and you get a LOT of gas and internal cramping but it doesn't hurt assuch, more like internal farting (sorry, TMI!)

Not really applicable, was dosed up on pain killers for around a week afterwards.

Had them taken out after a week.

N/A

:hug:

lauranjamesnbaby said:
a couple of days fairly sore, pretty much back to normal within a week

about six weeks (but last two to three only lightly - only needed a pantyliner)

it was definitely 'different' but not too bad. It took a few days for it to happen anyway.

Sore down there. The worst one for me was contractions during breastfeeding. They hurt surprisingly much (nowhere near enough though to even consider not BF:ing). I literally 'felt' my tummy shrinking. It lasted for about two weeks if I remember right and was less each day.

I didn't have any stitches

Good luck - enjoy the experience :hug: :hug: :hug:

I found it quite uncomforable- difficult to sit down, lie down but especially getting up- had to lever myself up and take it sloooowly!

About 3 weeks

I was absolutely terrified to pee and poo! Had a catheter and didn't want them to remove it as i was so scared to sit on the loo. I was given a jug of water and told to pour warm water when i went to dilute pee-it helped. as for the 1st poo, i think they gave me some sort of laxative as when it happened it wasn't that bad. Make sure you drink loads and loads of water though.

I didn;t really have any, or at least nothing noticable

Dissolved

Don;t know about this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back