After a c section

hotluck

Reaction score
I just wanted to know how anyone coped straight after a c section with looking after the baby, and general every day things like going to the toilet, having showers/baths, doing housework and stuff.

Very slowly to be honest. I had 20 hours of labour then an emergency c-section and felt like I had been hit by a bus for the few days after....every part of my body ached!!!
I accepted all of the help I could from hubby and did a little bit more each day, only 5 days after I walked quite a distance pushing the pram for support down to the local chemist, it takes about 10-15 minutes at normal speed and it must have taken about 20-30 minutes at a slow and steady pace...the woman in the chemist was shocked when I told her I had a c-section, regretted it that night though when everything just seemed to hit me!!!
Take it easy, concentrate soley on your baby and do everything for them only in the beginning then you will eventually realise you can do more than you thought, just push yourself a little more each time.

Well,after my section,once they had me on my feet,I was left to myself.It hurts for a while,obviously,just dose yourself up with whatever they give you! Also it's best to get moving as soon as possible,otherwise you stiffen up.As for housework and that,get other people to do it if possible-dont wreck yourself!

I did not find the aftermath of a section nearly as bad as I expected. Doing things like getting in and out of bed, loading the washing machine, going up and down stairs took a bit more effort than normal and I did things at a slower pace but in general I had to keep reminding myself that I had undergone a major operation. I used to look at other ladies on the ward that had vaginal births and felt that they were in more discomfort and finding moving more difficult than I was.

Don't overdo it when you get home and take every opportunity for people to help you, even if you do feel much better than you anticipated.

the first few days have to be very careful and i was quite uncomfortable, i never finded it a hassle doing most things for the baby but other things were a chore, i had a lot of help which is invaluable, hopefully you'll get lots of help too. by about 3-4 weeks i felt ready to do anything again but still had twinges in certain positions etc which is normal after having surgery.

good luck x

Removed due to deciding too personal for public viewing

Last edited:
I had the most amazing experience with the c-section. They make you get up on the second day. It is painfull, but nothing too much. You have to take painkillers for about 2 weeks, so you wont feel much pain. Actually with me I had a shower next day and going to the loo wasnt a problem at all. You have just to be very carefull and do it really slow in the beginning.
We had to move 3 weeks after I had my c-section so I even had to pack some stuff.
It isnt as awful as it might sound. :)

I had a 37 hour labour before an emergency c-section, but afterwards I didn't feel *THAT* bad. I had morphine for 3 mornings, but then got sent home.

Laughing, sneezing, coughing and yawning were all undertaken with caution. I found it better to have my knees curled up to my chest if I did any of those as it didn't pull my tummy as much.

Turning over in bed was an exercise in control, too! I did turn over too quickly once, causing a lot of pain and shortly afterwards passed a huge clot.

That said, everything else was fine. I was picking up Erin from Day 1 in the hospital and putting her back in the bassinet by myself, so at home, there was no difference. I went out for walks after the first week but couldn't make it too far without needing to go back and feeling shattered for a couple of hours afterwards.

Basically, accept any help that's given - my mum & husband coked and defrosted frozen home-made meals respectively and that helped enormously. :)

When shopping, I found pushing a large trolley too much, so always went for a small trolley, with baby seat in it, so couldn't get too many groceries. Always accepted packing help and just took it easy packing it into and back out of the car.

I had a very positive experience....... after 24 hours in labour I had an emergancy c.section ....... I had the c.sction at 9 am ....... stayed in bed all that day but had no pain and no problems dealing with my baby. The next day I got up and showered and felt fab........ all through my stay in hospital and afterwards at home I felt absolutely fine and didn't have any pain at any stage...
Did feel quite tired but so does every mum with a new baby.........

I had an emergency caesarean after 40 hours of labour, and felt like I had been run over by a bus. A lady I know had an emergency section and next time a planned section and said the difference in how she felt afterwards unbelievable. The best thing I had in hospital was a bed-ladder - a little rope ladder which tied to the end of the bed to help you pull yourself up with. I was given it by a midwife who thought I looked particularly bashed about, and was the envy of the ward for it :lol: . The key thing I think is to get yourself moving asap. If you just lie in a bed you aren't going to get your muscles working properly. My husband showered me on the first day as I could barely stand up. I did not do any housework for about 2 weeks. After about 3 or 4 days I started to feel lots better - so much so that I forgot how bad I had felt and leapt out of bed and pulled the internal stitches. I was a bit more careful after that.

I too had a positive experience, after a failed induction and 36 hours I was taken for a c section, had her at 8.20pm and was up and out of bed by 6am the next morning in a chair having brekkie. I had a shower that morning and walked to the shower room. The first 4 days in hozzie were fine, I found it best to walk slowly and the hardest thing was getting in and out of bed-I was terrified my stitches would pop :shock:

On the fifth day I came home and we walked to the park with the dog and pram, I was shattered and it took ages as I couldnt walk fast.

Unfortunatley I felt very unwell after that, and got worse-2 days later I ended up back at hozize as my wound was badly infected, but a course of very string anti biotics soon sorted me out and I felt great :lol: after that.

My best advice is get mobile as soon as you can, and take pain killers reguarly, they give you strong ones in hozzie and they are great :wink:

all i can remember is laughing and sneezing were very painful lol :lol:

i was up and about quite quickly, pushin the pram really helped so went on little walks with Jam the first few weeks and i was prob healed up after about 2months properly

Thanks for that girls. You've really reassured me. I'm lucky in that I have a wonderful OH who doesn't let me cook, if he can help it anyway, so eating won't be a problem, and my mum is just down the road and I know she'll be coming over every day to help me out.

I think I'll have to remember the bit about laughing, coughing, and sneezing, oh and the turning over in bed which I do all the time :lol: Roll on Wednesday :)

think i'm the same as most people. It's uncomfortable but not the worst thing ever. I went through 2 days of labor and then a section so i agree mdsremos.. it was like being hit with a bus... although like everyone else i imagined it to be worse! i was up and walking the next day. Had a shower fine.. even went the toilet okay :oops: ... the midwife did give me a pain killer in my rear thou! which is more embarrassing to say than having it done! after 2 days of labor i didn't care! but after that pain killer i could have done a bum's n tums class... i was home and driving within a week... and i've been fine ever since!

h x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back