Advice plz ...

Baby&i

Reaction score
Im sorry its not it the perfect place to post this, but you girls will probably understand better with being pregnant :)

Sadly my OHs dads dog died last month and it really really upset him. He is the hardest guy ever, you never see him cry or upset (hes an retired police man :roll: ) he dosnt really show emotion all that much, but this dog meant so much to him and he died the day before thanksgiving (i think it was) so me and OH decided to buy him a new pup (a black lab) as we thought he could really do with something to cheer him up, after the dog died of old age OHs dad sat crying all day and it was really hard to see him so sad. so we bring this sweet black lab pup over for him on thanks giving as a present and it really cheered him up and he loved him but his other dog (also a lab) really didnt agree with the pup. we was a little worried that he was going to go for him so we took him home and OH was really happy as he had already fell in love with this puppy and i swear he would have cried when he had to give him over to his dad. but im really unhappy. i hate animals. i just cant stand the smell of them i cant stand the dirtyness of them you cant wash them or clean their hands after they went bathroom its just disgusting and i dont want it in my house. OH agreed to taking buddy to work with him monday-friday so i have little one and dont have to worry about the mess the pup makes ontop of cleaning i have to get on with. but this dig is soooo DUMB!! he chews everything and sh**s on my clean floor thank god its wood! and hes not even trained fully yet so he pi***s too and i cant deal with it. our new place smells like dog and i really dont know what to do. were having a baby soon and we have a ferret iv been trying to get rid of for years since i moved in with OH. he stays in the basement but i just really cant deal with having a pup -and babies too- it just wont work what do i do??? :(

Oh hun it must be so difficult, but unfortunately Im a huge dog lover, and wouldnt give my collie up for the world, she means the absolute world to me, and want to make sure she doesnt feel too pushed out when the new baby arrives. When we lost our other collie I thought I was going to die with her, and it took me over 9 months to really come to terms with it (she was knocked down and killed by some stupid French driver), so from that point of view I can really understand how upset your OH's dad is feeling.

Puppies are hard work, I used to get up twice a night with mine in order to house train her properly, and until they learn they do poop and pee everywhere - like a child they know no different! You have to watch them like a hawk and take them outside every 30 mins or so until they go for a pee/poo.........for it to work though you have to be totally commited to the dog - and it could easily be house trained before the baby arrives making life much easier - but then its very difficult to be commited if its not something you really want, and its not fair on you or the pup at the moment!!

I think you need to talk seriously to your OH - what was the problem with your father in laws dog, and the pup? (and are they both males) - I was always advised never keep 2 male dogs together as they can fight badly, its better to have a bitch and a dog!!!

If your OH takes the new pup to work with him every day then thats a good start I guess, but its not fair having a dog if he isnt wanted, and would be better re-homed with a family who do want him!!

Good luck with it hun.........and hope it works out for all involved! :hug:

Thanks for the reply hun. Yes OH is totaly in love with him so is DD- i just dont like animals! i really wish i did but i see children/babies way more important and dont think they should be mixed as it scares me what they can do to a child. also the extra work is way too hard on me, i could cope fine with it all but i shouldnt have to as its not want i wanted and with being due in 7 weeks i just want to relax and nesting has really taken over me so im like a OCD right now with cleaning but have not got the energy. I do think he is super cute and im in no way mean to him but it makes me feel so dirty and i have to wash little ones hands all the time i just dont want him near my kids esp a newborn. i bet you think im a sour crazy old moo :roll:

yes Ohs dads dog is a Male, but hes always been very in love with other males dogs that his dad has owned/looked after beforehand :think: OH takes alot of the responsibility and takes him out every half hour/hour and he gets walked 2-3 times a day.. HES JUST DUMB! He pees on the rug for the sake of it ! he wont behave at night he cries when we go bed. he cries in the morning at 6am for his walk my poor OH is getting worked right down and i think hes getting a little upset about it too.

Im sorry about your collie hun :hug:

Sounds like the kindest and fairest thing for the dog would be to get it rehomed asap!

I think you need to get the pup rehomed to someone who really wants him, having a lab myself, i love them to bits but they are hard work especially when they are little and you obviously havent got the time or real drive to have him, when they are pups they need taking out every hour in the day for a wee to help get them toilet trained etc, and labs are energetic and needs lots of walks, i would see if your father in law wants him as he can always get the new pup castrated when he is old enough and that should solve any problems

Please dont keep the dog just for the sakes of it there are too many dogs that have been damaged by not being in the right homex

:hug: :hug:

Hes certainly NOT dammaged we are a loving home and he is getting well looked after to say the least..
i just was looking for some advice on having a pup while pregnant or with a newborn.
I was wondering if i would get used to having him and not fuss so much about the whole "dirty" thing. my DD really loves him and so does OH :(

:hug: I know you will get used to him........spend some time with him, take him for some walks and you will be in love with him in no time!!

The "dirty thing" can be resolved quickly, but it will take some commitment (getting up at least twice a night to take him outside) good practice for the LO arriving ( :D ), and then take him out every 30 mins to an hour during the day, and he will be house trained in no time, and remember lots and lots of praise when he "goes" outside....labs are exceptionally bright dogs, they just pretend to be stupid some times - PM me if you need any help at all!!!

Its not going to be easy, but give it a go for your OH's and DD's sake!! If you then feel you really cant cope then maybe its time to look for a new home, but at least you will feel like you have given it a good go!

Im sure you will cope though......and I know you just want whats best for everyone which is a lovely way to be!! :hug:

Aww bless you hun thankyou very much :hug: i didnt mean to offend anyone this morning with my rant i was feeling abit hormonal and stressed with cleaning floors ect. i cant say id like to see him go, i would be upset. im just not used to dogs and OH gave me a hug and told me he knows that i am trying to get used to everything. i guess i just needed someone to say it will get better :) he is getting a little better now from first having him but its just these little accidents that make me feel like i have a dirty house.. it must be a pregnancy thing with wanting everything so clean and shiney for the new arrival :think: thanks hun im feling much better now had a lovely shower too :hug:

I will be completely honest and say the last thing I would get while pregnant or just had a baby is a puppy! I just don't have the time or patience!
Hun you really need to chat to OH and see if you can sort something out! It will definitely improve but its whether you can deal with it till things do get better! :hug: :hug:

Im an animal lover myself but appreciate not everyone is the same. I personally think you need to rehome the pup sooner rather than later. You did state that you "hate" animals so having them really isnt the best thing for you or the dog. If you feel this way now you will feel twice as bad when the baby comes along.

Fairest thing for all i think,

Claire x

I dont really think its a "hate" thing but anyway Oh knows how i feel and were going to take him down to his dads to see how they get on again.

Baby&i said:
i hate animals. i just cant stand the smell of them i cant stand the dirtyness of them you cant wash them or clean their hands after they went bathroom its just disgusting and i dont want it in my house. OH agreed to taking buddy to work with him monday-friday so i have little one and dont have to worry about the mess the pup makes ontop of cleaning i have to get on with. but this dig is soooo DUMB!! he chews everything and sh**s on my clean floor thank god its wood! and hes not even trained fully yet so he pi***s too and i cant deal with it. our new place smells like dog and i really dont know what to do. were having a baby soon and we have a ferret iv been trying to get rid of for years since i moved in with OH. he stays in the basement but i just really cant deal with having a pup -and babies too- it just wont work what do i do??? :(

Sorry.. it was this that gave me the impression there was a strong dislike for the pup. I still think its best he goes and lives somewhere else so you can dedicate your time to your baby,

Claire x

I think if you're not going to be able to give the pup 100% (and that includes liking it as well as caring for it) then it would be best to find him a new home. Fingers crossed he settles with your OH's dad's dog but if not there are places out there that will help you find him a new home.

Having owned a black lab before, the thing that used to bug me most was the amount of hairs around the house - and because they're black they obviously really show up. I remember the first time I hoovered the place after we got this dog... I moved the sofa and underneath it was enough black dog hair to make a Winehouse wig!
It couldn't help it, obviously, but that will seriously start to bug you if you're having problems with the mess it's making already!

I'd definitely try again with the older lab - there's no reason why labs shouldn't get on because they're pack animals by instinct. It was probably just showing the pup who was boss - which is perfectly natural.
Try again, because you'll only start resenting this dog - even if you don't mean to - and no lab deserves that because they're just the sweetest animals on Earth!

i know that hun and he could be rehomed as quick as today but were trying to work out if thats what we all want. if it wasnt for being pregnant all would be well and good i just want to think about my babys and their needs right now. DD needs my attention too. theres obviously a few difference of opinions here so iv asked the mods to delete this thread i dont want anyone getting offended just because im not a huge animal lover. sorry girls.

Dont be silly, noone is getting offended. Not everyone likes animals.. nothing wrong with that. We are simply saying what we think would be best for you all.. just giving you our advice hun thats all!

Claire x

I'll join in if you like... I hate cats with a passion and would quite happily round up all the moggies in my neighbourhood and make stew and coats out of them to feed and clothe the homeless!

There, I said it! :lol:

I dont think anyones getting offended hun just giving you honest advice, what i meant by damaged is that if you dont give pup the time and training he needs, he wont become the best he can be, i have 2 dogs and Macey who is now 9 weeks, our dogs are 2 and 4, we have had dogs for a long time and i really think if your not overly keen on animals you should rehome him - there is no point in just keeping onto him for other peoples sakes, if your going to have an issue with the dog making things dirty - muddy footprints, lots of fur when they malt, its not fair to shut the dog away for hours which i think you might do when baby arrives he may as well live with your father in law and then you can all visit him

Its just that in your first post you were quite critical of the puppy calling him dumb etc which gives me the impression you dont think that much of him, puppys need as much time as newborns and it would be a tall order for anybody to take on never mind with a new baby as well

:hug:

rocksyroberts said:
I'll join in if you like... I hate cats with a passion and would quite happily round up all the moggies in my neighbourhood and make stew and coats out of them to feed and clothe the homeless!

There, I said it! :lol:

See.. thats not funny :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back