advice pls on GD

bidsy

Reaction score
Hi ladies my step daughter has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, she's really upset about it and lives miles away from us and hasnt been given much information yet, her appointment is on the 18th. Is there a risk to the baby? Is there a chance it will go after baby is born? She was weighty before she got preg and is quite big now prob a size 20 and has been told hewr BMI is too high, could she control this by diet?.

thanks in advance

Hi :) Iv only recently been diagnosed with GD so still don't know much myself, all I know is it can mean a big baby. Depending on what her sugar levels are it may be diet controlled, I'm managing ok diet controlled but will go on insulin if They start getting too high and not coming down. It does sometimes go after baby is born but some people go on to be a diabetic. My bmi is high but I was told it won't be the cause, it's something to do with the placenta blocking the pancreas so not producing enough insulin. Iv been told me and bub will be kept in for 2 days when she's born as they need to make sure baby regulates her own sugar levels without the placenta. There's a few ladies who Iv found really helpful when Iv had questions. Hope her appointment goes well, she should be offered extra growth scans to keep an eye on babies size xx

The main concern is a big baby but there are other risks but if her levels are well controlled then it minimises the risks.

I had GD with Stanley (just turned 1 year) I was on insulin as my initial figures were high, and I'm now left type 2 :(

Most people however get rid as soon as baby is born. with me, they thought that because my mum and dad both have type 2 that the pregnancy just bought it out in me!

First and foremost, tell her to cut all obvious sugar things and to watch her carb intake, don't cut it out completely and her and baby need energy :) but for now till she sees a dietician, cut the cakes, sugar in tea, fuzzy drinks etc and watch potatoes, rice and pasta and if she can, swap those for the whole ram variety.

any other questions just ask :D xx

Hello..

I was diagnosed with GB at 34 weeks..in my second pregnancy which was a complete shock and i was worried too...
I was treated by diet control and was given an extra growth scan... All i kept hearing was 'big baby'...to the point where my labour was brought on by my consultant at 39 weeks! 12 hours later i gave birth to 7lb.12 baby boy!
I had been scared to death by midwifes saying to expecting a 9lb+ bubba...how wrong was they..i just had a lot of water!

I was fine...and so was baby.. diet control does work :)

Good luck to your step daughter...and tell her to try not to stress x

Oh forgot to add... My dad has type 2 but mine went soon after i gave birth :)

Yeah I was induced at 38 weeks. Told he was 10lb but he was 7lb4.5 :)

They won't let her go overdue as the extra Gloucester in the blood starts to break down the placenta faster, so they tend to induce GD pregnancies either bang on due date or before xx

thanks ladies some great advice there i will pass it on, she is only 19 so quite scared about it all x i am sure i'll be asking some more questions soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back