Advice please :)

KirstyL

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this with your little ones, and if so,what did you do. Basically since Jacob was about 2 weeks old, he's made a choking sound at night when I lay him down, almost sounds like he's got mucus in his throat and its making him breathe funny. he's also recently started "gasping for breath" during feeds, which is scaring me.

I've taken him to the docs times and each time they check his heart, chest, lungs and say they are clear and that he'll grow out of whatever it is, but I dont see how they know that as they've not heard him do it, and don't know what it is!

On my last doctor trip, they sent him to see a Paediatrician, I think to shut me uo - who said they could see nothing wrong, he's gaining weight, feeding etc, but maybe it reflux, so gave me some onfant gaviscon and sent me away....well hes still no better and im really worried :( he wakes himself up with it in the night, then can't settle again, I just dont know what to do or try now,

Any ideas?
xx

Have you tried raising his head end of the cot? Poor thing :( xxx

not sure either hon, must be hard for you when it keeps happening. Raising the head of cot is a good idea. Hopefully there'll be a few more ideas? xx

Sorry I can't offer much advice but like Esoames said, try raising the head end of the cot, maybe put him on his side (with a rolled up blanket behind him).

My LO has some mucus on her lungs when she was born and was quite chesty for a while and I kept her on her side and rubbed her back alot. x

yeah - i have a pillow under the mattress in his moses basket, but still happens :(

I sleep him on his side as well, with a blanket behind to keep him there, but still happens, its impossible, it happens every night, I dont know how to help him now,

want to take him back to the doctor, but he;ll say the same thing.
xx

Oscar used to choke, but not while feeding and didn't gasp for breath. He used to choke while laying on his back, choking on saliva I think. The doctor thought I was mental, and the HV wasn't interested at all so i got no help or advice on what it was or how to help him. I figured it was saliva when I read that babies don't know how to swallow their saliva. I have no advice either I'm afraid other than sleeping on side etc which you are doing.

Oscar is still a side sleeper, he will occassionally sleep on his back now, but he always goes to sleep on either side.

It's frightening but he grew out of it around your babies age, maybe 2 months max. But like I say he never gasped for breath or anything like that so might be something totally different to what was happening with Oscar xxxx

Poppy does this occasionally (usually in the middle of the night, so I nearly have a heart attack and leap out of bed to check her) and sometimes she's been a little bit sick, but sometimes there seems to be no reason so I'm guessing it's saliva. I haven't been to the doctors about it but I will if it carries on or gets worse. She's always absolutely fine, it only lasts for a couple of seconds and she'll gain her breath back and carry on sleeping. Have you tried getting a second opinion? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back