• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advice or suggestions needed!

LoopyLouize

Reaction score
Harlow has colic pretty bad. Before I was using med's to ease her colic she would spend up to 14 hours a day crying. Doctors checked her over for hernia's or stomach virus's but they all just diagnosed her with the dreaded Colic. Since changing her to Comfort formula and adding colief to every bottle and then every now and again when I thought she was a little uncomfotable I would give her abit of Gripe Water. All this seemed to do the job and she started to be abit more content and observe the enviroment rather than scream the place down.
Now since yesterday morning at 8am, she has cried and cried and cried, she has had about 5 hours sleep and then carried on all this morning too. She has no temperature and is still drinking her bottle, however she gets a pain and spits the bottle out to then start crying again. She hasn't pooped for 3 days now, this tends to be normal for her so no concern there. I have noticed she screams and then passes wind which stops her from crying for about 4 minutes only for her to start up all over again, pass wind, stop, start again.. I can see her straining and going abit red in the face. After researching, it says newborns between 4-6 weeks seem to go through this stage as they don't know how to push the muscles to bring the poop down. I do think this is the case with Harlow but was wondering if anybody has any suggestions in how to help her poop?

Will done this, i spent my days trying to retrieve poo from him and he went every day without fail. Its as if he just didn't like having a poo. It still happens now but he doesn't get so upset.

In the end i used the waterwheel massage technique on him and gave him a few ounces of tepid water mixed with a cap of orange juice mixed in. I would then put him under his mobile or try and get him distracted and 8 times out of 10 the poo would arrive soon after. he would then be back to being a settled baby again. it deffo worked for me. i know some people don't agree with the orange juice thing but it hasn't caused Will any problems and i know of a good few people who have done the same thing. xx

It sounds a bit like reflux. Esp with her pulling away from feeds.

Have a look at the reflux symptoms see if it sounds familiar...some are....arching back, pulling away at bottle, spitting up/or not. crying when placed down flat. crying during/after feed, colic symptoms.

Will see if i can find the proper list of symptoms.

xxxxxxxxxx

Alyssia has colic and we are on the comfort food and she strains for a poo and pushes so hard to no avail! Im giving her cool boiled water before her feed just to try and keep things flowing but yeah the leg movments seemed to help her when she was bunged up and also a bit of tummy time as well. Poor mite its not nice and you do feel so helpless! X

I think Sophie had a touch of reflux as she had about a week of being really fussy and sick quite a lot. My colic solutions were:

Infacol to get up any basic trapped wind and for stomach lining.
Colief but only a drop in each bottle and not the recommended four.
Dr browns bottles - amazing!
Fennel water
Water with orange juice in it
Colic massage - worked wonders and really helped when she was all bunged up.
Aptamil comfort milk - a huge improvement and very happy with the choice to change her on to it!!

Pos, what OJ did you use? Might consider trying this at some point now he's getting older. Thanks xxx

Pop some vaseline on her bum opening and massage it. The feeling can stimulate poo. This was recommended by the NHS helpline to me one nite.
The oj or prune juice in water works wonders as well.
Also try lying her down, holding her ankles and pushing her legs up to her chest, then do bicycle movements with her legs. Can be great for shifting wind xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back