Advice on setting up my own buisness

Geordie&Bairn

Reaction score
Hi to all :wave:

I know there is a thread i here about advice on this
but im not that far along yet

I would greatly appreciate any help all those who have thier own small buisness for thier experiances and imput.
I will not be setting up my own buisness untill my maternity leave is over as it will effect my MT leave pay.

I am presently working full time as a Qualified Nursery Nurse and will be taking the full 9 month entitlement to maternity pay
I have also informed work that when applicable i will be supply staff if needed and if james is here to look after Collier.

ie i will do my 10 day back to work thing the extra money will be handy and it dosn't effect benifits :D

But i will not be returning to work afterwards as my nursery has an unwritten rule no staff childen in the work place.
I see no point in me forking out a fortune for another nursery or childminder to look after my child while i look after other peoples children.

I'd miss out on my own childs growing up while seeing other people's children growing up
and ill be paid pretty much the same as i'd be paying out for child care fees
ie working for nothing and missing my child

so ive decided with my artistic talents, love of craft along with my knowledge and expericance of what nurseries need ie what themes and topics they do and sell story sacks resources that match those topics. :cheer: :cheer:

to set up my own small buisness selling story sack resourses id like to set up my own on line website advertising my story sacks and create buisness cards and posters
use my contacts with nurseries and schools to create a clientele list
Im quite excited about this and feel proud of my self for finding a way to still earn while being a STAHM :clap: to myself :D :rotfl:

im not very good with the finacial side of stuff
How do you go about setting up your own buisness??? :think:
I have no clue as where to start with setting it up and what id have to do :oops:

I have already started to test the waters by selling the resources i already have on ebay as i now need to get rid of it all to make space for my soon to be born Son.

So far the ones ive sold and have advertised are receiving excellent feedback from the those who have bought and those who our interested :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

and this is why ive decided is a great way for me to still earn money but be with my child :D

Any ideas Ladies???

Thank you :wave:

You know what me and my aunt did when we had no idea where to start?
We went to the CAB office and they pointed us in the direction of this company thats there to help people starting a business!
We now have weekly appointments with our business advisor who basically walks us through everything! And he is free! :cheer:
We went on this 3 hour course that explained alot of things like tax etc and theres another one, (a longer more detailed one) that we are going on so we know more ourselves etc
I dont know if anything would have gotten anywhere if we had not gone and gotten the advice of CAB!
Good luck :hug:

also contact business link, they run a womens networking, where you meet for fo breakfast and help each other out plus they arrange talks about self assesment etc

u can trade for 3 months before you need to register to inland revenue that your self employed to test the waters. good luck with it, i became self employed after alana and never looked back. now i have 2 businesses and my OH is starting one too.

if i can help in any way pm me xx

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdot...gov.uk&target=http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/
Heres a link to Business Link, here you can find all the details you need relating to the company you wish to start. Fill out the online questions and you can build up a portfolio of your business and needs required. They also hold free training sessions to which you can attend normally free of charge or for a small amount, you do not need to have started a business to attend these either (they are also not full of no it alls!!).
If you register with Business Link you can also have free use of an advisor who will go through your ideas and options with you, can give you contacts, help you arrange funding and obtain grants. Also believe that around or after April 09 the government are helping women start new businesses so might be looking into what you can claim!
You can also advertise you business on their forum.

Good Luck with all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back