• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

advice on income suppoert and tax credits

Lauz_1601

Reaction score
ok firstly can you claim income support if you are living with a partner? I roughly do 16 hours a weeks, sometimes more and sometimes less, but I think Im going to tell my boss I dont want to do more than 16hours, or get a new job and do no more than 16 hours.

Secondly my friend saw a soliciter yesterday and he said that you can claim tax credits singly, even if living with a partner, so basically it would be better for me to claim by myself.But now that Iv already made a joint claim does anyone know if I could change it to a single claim even though Im still living with my partner?

thanks in advance for any help :)

Are you sure you can? Technocally isn't that lying? I have claimed joint as I don't want to risk it, plus we get working tax credits this way too.

You can't get income support if you have a partner no, sorry xx

As far as I know you can only claim it if you are off work ill, or a single parent not working more than 16 hours a week???

Samis right you cant claim income support if you have a partner. But you can get working tax credits. You can get more money depending on your partners wages.

Maybe she misunderstood what the soliciter said then :roll: Cant understand why he would say that though seems a bit strange! Unless he was basically saying she could have lied to them, which isnt very professional!

Wasnt sure about the income support but worth a try hey!

I'm not working at the moment (I walked out of my old job in October 2005 when I met Paul and haven't had any joy finding a job since then and i'm going to be a stay at home mum when the baby arrives in November) so will I be entitled to Income Support? My partner works about 38 - 40 hours a week and gets about £30,000 a year

thats not legal you cant claim income support if you are living with a partner if the partner isnt working you have to claim job seekers and you can still get tax credits if hes working you can still get tax credits no benefits but its not as much at all it does work out better if you claim ureself but if they find out he is living with you you are liable to pay it all back and you can get in a lot of trouble.
and you still get child benefit no matter what.

My partner claimed income support and i was able to do a joint claim with him but once he stopped getting it we both had to claim job seekers.

The best people to ask about the different benefits would be the CAB.

Hope people aren't getting the impression that I want to claim these benefits and not let them know that I am living with parner? :?
I was just wondering if you could claim income support or not when living with partner but unfortuatly not :-(

I hardly get any tax credits, actually they've stopped til october becuase they overpaid me! then I only get £12 a week family tax and were not entitled to working tax, which is a bit poo :-(

OH's dad was saying we'd be better off if I wasnt working, probably get more in tax credits, but the thing is I want to work, even if its only a few hours I dont want to do nothing (no offence atall to SAHM's)

Lauz_1601 said:
Hope people aren't getting the impression that I want to claim these benefits and not let them know that I am living with parner? :?
)

No, not at all. Its a total minefield and really your best bet would be the CAB. I know from working in benefits that you and mom nat would not be entitled to income support due to living with partners. As for tax credits, I dont know.

I thought I may have worded it wrong and come across the wrong way. Dont think there are any benefits I am entitled to other than tax credits and child benefit, just thought Id check out if there was anything else.

MomNat said:
I'm not working at the moment (I walked out of my old job in October 2005 when I met Paul and haven't had any joy finding a job since then and i'm going to be a stay at home mum when the baby arrives in November) so will I be entitled to Income Support? My partner works about 38 - 40 hours a week and gets about £30,000 a year

You wont be able to get anything hun. You wont be able to claim income support unless your a single parent. You and your OH can claim working tax credits. But no other benifits I dont think :(

you can get income support if your partner or yourself work under 24 hours a week :)

That's shite. I'm sorry but it really is. Bringing up a child is very expensive and if you choose to stay at home and raise the child then you should get some sort of maternity pay rather than it being just for those who have a job, leave for a while then maybe go back. We should have an allowance for staying at home

MomNat said:
That's shite. I'm sorry but it really is. Bringing up a child is very expensive and if you choose to stay at home and raise the child then you should get some sort of maternity pay rather than it being just for those who have a job, leave for a while then maybe go back. We should have an allowance for staying at home

to be honest i dont think that tax payers should pay for mums to stay at home.
ild like to spend all my time with my children but i have to work its a way of life. there is no valid reason to stop working just through having a child? im not saing people are bad for giving up work thats great but not to moan about not getting benifits, especialy when there other half earns £30k??

my mum has 5children and still worked all her life.

it does my head in when my friends have the best of every thing there baby has the latest of every thing and they dont work, and i work so does my partner and we still cant afford all the nicest things and when i see some of the girls round my way crates of carling smoking fags like there is no tomorrow? where do they get the money from? me and my partner dont smoke he has never drank i drink once a month, yet im always skint....

no offence to any one that has gave up work especialy if your partner works
but if you both dont work thats fine but to moan about not getting anough benifits...

i see my poor fella get up and go to work and miss out on alot of new things his children do, but its one of them x

i cant wait till next year i want to go back to college and get a job :dance:

I agree with Dionne. In an ideal world it would be great if all mums can stay at home and watch their children grow up but sadly we don't live in one of those.

beanie said:
I agree with Dionne. In an ideal world it would be great if all mums can stay at home and watch their children grow up but sadly we don't live in one of those.

Exactly :D Because I left my job when I was pg I didn't have the choice to go back to work now. I looked in to working but I would bring home a measly £1.95 an hour minus deductions like tax and NI. I think that it's more important for the government to support the mums that HAVE to go back to work for financial reasons than those that choose to stay at home, and that's coming from a stay at home mum. We can just about cope on DH's wages (no luxuries though!) and it was our choice to have a baby therefore it is down to us to provide for it, not the women who have to work and pay taxes etc. We get a small amount of tax credits and child allowance which helps, but I wouldn't expect anything else. I'm very very thankful that we are in a position that I can be at home with Ella and feel sorry for the women that would like to, but can't.

I stress that this is just my personal opinion. Don't want to cause offence :)

MomNat said:

You're doing better financially with just his wages than me and my partner already, then you'll have you child benefit and tax credits on top. We are living alright and have debts to pay aswell, so you should be fine!

i get working tax credits and no income support i work 16 hours a week and as i am single really pays of for me as with benifits and wages i am just getting under£1000 a month but not to sure if ur in a relationship sure it goes down!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back