Advice on care of prem baby

dawn78

Reaction score
Hi, i had my baby last friday (15.8) and he was 34+6 and weighed just under 6lb but he has struggled with maintaining temperature and doesnt really wake for feeds is this quite normal for a prem, he takes it when we wake him, not always the amount he should but find a prem so scary as want to get it right

Is he home? My wee one was fed through a tube for 2+ weeks for this reason. I'm surprised he's home if he's not feeding well. Why not ask your HV? xx

he is feeding well just doesnt wake for them if you know what i mean, we have to feed him every 3 hours and it takes a hour to feed, he has come back out of hospital

We used to have to wake our daughter for her feeds. She wasn't all that prem (36+2) but was tiny (3lb 11oz) and didn't have the strength to feed properly to start with (in hospital for 3 weeks, tube fed). In the first few weeks, we'd only leave her 2 hours between feeds and even when we woke her, we had to keep her awake to take her milk! Then gradually as she got bigger we left her a bit longer and she would wake for her feeds. Took a while though. I always thought some of that was down to the tube feeding as she used to pretty much sleep through those!

Definitely speak to your HV if you're concerned though or your LO's consultant if you have one.

Last edited:
Hi Hun just wanted to say it's totally normal. That's why the nice docs don't fully put them on 'demand' feeding it's always demand but no more than bla hours

My LO was on 3 hourly by time we brought him home. He was 4lb 1 and 4 weeks early. He's now 7 n half months feeds two hourly 7 times per day and sleeps 10-11 straight at night and is a healthy happy baby :)

Don't worry so much enjoy your time with LO and congratulations xx

Yes that sounds right. I had to wake my Little premmie for his feeds every 3 hours and it used to take over an hour to feed him, and then he would only have a tiny amount. He was quite often sick during a feed, so then had to start all over again. But his now 3.5 years old, eats like a horse, sleeps fantastically and is taller then all children his age
:dance:

Hope all is going well chick... xxxx

Last edited:
my Lo was born at 37 weeks but was 5"11 she also kept dropping temperature. She never used to wake up on her own but from around 8 weeks she's taking feeds 4 hourly

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back