• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

advice on a home birth

Fiona

Reaction score
I would love any advice from home birth ladies....

I have always wanted a home water birth - so far I have seen 4 different midwives (usual mw is on sick leave and other mw's from different surgeries are covering) I have spoken to them all about a home water birth and they have all been really supportive and can't see it as a problem.......... even though I have a high bmi and will be a couple of weeks off 41 when my baby is born and it's my first baby...

but my family and friends think I am mad and keep saying that it is too big and risk and telling me of all the 'what ifs'...... and they are beginning to scare me.....

my DH is really supportive and says that I should do whatever I feel that I really want to do.

but I keep worrying that whatever I decide it will be wrong decision..

MW today said she loved homebirths and things that they are great for both mum and baby - very relaxing and end up with less chance of being cut, grazing or have a caesar.....

would love to hear from both first time mums who have had a homebirth and also mums who have had a hospital birth and a homebirth and how they feel the two compare. .....

i booked for a home waterbirth but had to transfer in for meconium(baby poo) in the waters. have a look at www.homebirth.org.uk it will answer all your questions it was a godsend to me good luck!

I had a home birth and Ellie is my first. I would highly recommend it. I did a load of research as I was like you, I wanted a home birth but a lot of people were trying to put me off. The research showed that you are likely to have a shorter labour and less intervention with a home birth. If you hav any specific questions I will be happy to answer them.

I think that your midwife is trained to spot things that are not progressing 'normally' and that because you willl have a midwife there just for you and not sharing her with lots of different labouring women, it should be simple for her to spot any problems and transfer you in. Only you can decide what is right for you but I have heard that most women feel very relaxed at home with less need for intervention. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi! I had a homebirth with my son 2 weeks ago (see post under birth announcements - Alexander James!) and a hospital birth with my daughter. I much preferred the homebirth! In hospital I was ignored... told I wasn't in laour (even though Ineeded to push) and was given pai drugs (pethadin) too late so hat dd ha to be rescusitated (sp?). If I have another child I will def have a homebirth...would absolutely recommend it to anyone!

Oh - and everyone except my dh thought I was mad t have him at home and tried for ages to ge me to change my mind - just trust your convictions!
Good Luck
x x

thanks ladies - it is something that I really really want to go for... have had a good look at the homebirth website that was recommended and found it really helpful.....

fairly sure I have decided now to opt for a homebirth...

oh this is so exciting !!!!!!!!!!

thanks ladies - it is something that I really really want to go for... have had a good look at the homebirth website that was recommended and found it really helpful.....

fairly sure I have decided now to opt for a homebirth...

oh this is so exciting !!!!!!!!!!

sorry - posted twice - damn laptop playing up again

All I have seen about homebirths on this forum, and any baby books/mags I have and other websites is that it is encouraged, and that it is better becasue it relaxed the mother, which is essential for a more straight forward birth (and for baby), which is good for recovery.

Plus there are loads of bad reports about hospitals. As well as the safety issue, I would not want to be ignored through this highly personal time, and would also feel stressed in such an environment. I hate hospitals.

Everyone in my family is saying you can't have a homebirth for your first baby and you won't know what you are doing, but I'm sure they are all living in the past when they say we are not allowed. It certainly seems to be encouraged, and makes sense in that it is more relaxing. As for not knowing what we are doing, I for one have endeavoured to find out as much about pregnancy and labour as i can, and also to find ways around the stress and pain of giving birth (naturally - even if it doesn't happen). Don't know what we are doing! :shakehead:

Go for it. I'm going to.

i had a home birth two months ago Fiona and it was the best thing ive ever done.
if i ever have anymore babies home it will be for sure! i wish id done it for my other three :)

After having Maddie in hospital I am definitely considering a homebirth this time. I'm only 5-10 mins from hospital anyway so I know that I'd soon be there if I needed to go in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back