Acrylic nails?

Rachel

Reaction score
Anyone ever had acrylic nails done?

How do they do it? How long do they last? How long does it take them to do it etc?

I've booked an appointment for the 30th Dec and it's costing £32 which I've been told is a good price?

I've never had them done properly before, I've always used them ones you just glue on because I normally only use them for a nightout or wedding or something but I want something that is going to last longer and look better.

I want them pretty short so I can still do normal stuff without too much trouble and want french look, will they be able to do that?

Sorry about all the questions :lol:

I have sculptured ones, where they stick like a little sticker round your nail, and build the acrylic up over (its like powder they mix with purple stuff and it turns to a gel). I find these better as theres no tip glued on, so they are less likely to ping off.

I have a new set put on each month, with infills every 2 weeks. So it goes new set, infills, new set, infils etc.

I pay £35 for mine and £15 for infills

Hope that helps, I love havin them on I feel like I've got pretty hands haha

Sorry forgot to say, yes they will do them quite short, I have mine quite short so I've got some growing room in them

Thanks, that helps alot :D

I've never had them done before but can't wait now :lol:

Yeh I had gel ones done before they were lovely. A friend did it so only cost £10. They lasted around 2weeks and I'm a florist so my hands get a right battering!!! :)

I have had loads of sets of both acrylic and gel.... acrylic is definately more hardly but they dont look as natural or as good. I sometimes think they look very false colour wise. I dont like how they grow out as they sometimes tend to "lift" and if they dont lift then they grow out with a huge ridge showing.

I tried Cal Gel and i loved this. Warning though it doesnt work well with nail extensions as it doesnt seem to stick as well. I have a layer of this over my normal nails (even if they are not long) and it looks neat and natural and lovely. In a couple of weeks my nails grow underneath the gel and when i have the infills they re-whiten the ends so in the end you have natural nails with a gel hardner over the top. They grow out without hardly any noticeable lines at all. Much better in my opinion. If you are going to have to be rough with them though through work or anything you might be better with acrylic.

I prefer Gel, hands down! (pardon the pun!!!!) :lol:

I have acrilic nails - have done for the last 3 years atleast!!

I had then taken off when I was about 2 weeks off my due date... but I hated it, so I had them put back on and was much happyer :D I used to scoop poo up with them when changing nappys, but you soon get used to it, and I cant do anythimg without them on now - I type with them, Id hate not having my nails done!

Full set - £35, infills - £16 where I go. Iv NEVER had one break or ping off :) In 3 years!!

They look fab and last about 3 weeks, then I go get infils, every so offten I get them to take them off and start over again with a full set.

I have mine done with gel and they are great, I have them done as overlays - so no tips just the length of my natural nails. To do them, they paint the coloured gel over your nail and then you put your hand under a UV lamp to bond them. They you have strong and unchippable polish! I pay £20 to have them done and you can see a noticable regrowth after about 3 weeks (if they are dark coloured)

Gel def looks more natural and it doesn't wreck your real nails, so is prob better if you aren't planning to have them done all the time.

Yes, I agree with that - Gel if your only having them done occasionally!! Look very natural :)

Iv had gels over the years, but dont like them as I am used to the strength of acrylics and didnt like the look of them! BUT it is possible that was more to do with the way the were done than what gel nails can be like!

Alot depends on where you get them done too... I had acrlics done somewhere other than my normal place once - they were painted shite, and one broke!! So iv never gone ne where else!!

I'm a qualified nail technician and there are pros and cons of both acrylic and gel. It really depends on your lifestyle as to which type of artificial nail will suit you best.

A full set usually takes about an hour to an hour and half. And infills/backfills usually take 45mins to an hour. The average price for a full set is between £28 and £35 and average price for infills is usually between £15 - £22.

You can have acrylic nails buffed which produces a low shine, a more natural looking or you can have a higher gloss put on them for the ultimate shine. You can even have a gloss topcoat put on acrylic nails to give them extra strength.

With both sets of nails you can choose the shade of white for the tip. There are degrees of whiteness from brilliant white to a more natural shade. You can also choose a shade on pink for the nail bed. Again these range from bright pink to a light pink. Any good salon will ask you what type of look you're after and advise you on what shade will look best with your own natural nail.

Acrylic nails are created using a powder and acrylic liquid. The powder is mixed with the liquid and then it's sculpted into a nail.
Gel nails are obviously made from gel(!) the gel is sculted into a nail and then it's cured under a UV light until it's set.

Hope that helps... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm also qualified to do acrylic nails,i do the pink and whites whereas most places paint or spray the white tip on which usually scratches off. Whatever you do, dont let them file your natural nail, they should never do this although many places do, which weakens your nails hence making you go back for more! They should use something like scrubfresh which removes all the oils from your nails to help stop lifting. Enjoy!

Hello, I have had acrylic nails for nearly two years with only a month break twice before getting them done again. I much prefere them to my natural nails as mine are like paper - so thin ans flexible and they never grow. Acrylic nails are strong and they look great - I don't have to worry about manicuring my nails for three weeks after getting them done! You don't even have to have long nails - mine are usually quite short as I do lots of typing. You need to get them removed every 3 months as water and stuff can start to get under the acrylic, but you can get a new set done straight away. £32 is an average price.

Good luck and I hope you'll like them! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back