A day of surprises

mayday

Reaction score
I have had a very surprising day. My first surprise was when OH came home with a lump on his gum above his tooth and had an emergency dentist appointment. It turns out a tooth which had an abcess in it years ago has developed an infection in the gum and is oozing pus - lovely! Just makes me want to give him a great big kiss :puke: . He's being a real wuss about it. He has to go in for surgery to have his gum peeled back and the cavity cleaned and packed out and the gum stitched back down. He reckons it is worse than anything I am experiencing at the moment because I've got a baby to look forward to and the only thing he has to look forward to is keeping his own teeth.

Next I went for my massage. I was with a local osteopath who looked after my friend when she was pregnant (her back and neck have never been quite right since a horse she was riding thought there was enough room for both of them to get under a tree - there was only actually enough room for the horse!) He gave me lots of lovely prodding in my shoulders and neck, and discovered I have some significant seizing up in my neck on one side. The only thing I can think it might be is work related - from twisting round to pick up stuff off the chair behind me all the time. He decided it was worth having a go manipulating it and it popped back into place with an almighty crunching noise which was quite alarming at the time but my neck feels incredible now, all loose and free! He doesn't normally manipulate pregnant women but as this was my neck he figured it was far enough away from my pelvic area to be OK. Once I have popped I am definitely going back to have everything else put back into place. I can't believe I have been paying for my horse to have this treatment for years (he's and athlete, dontcha know!) and not been getting it myself. Still, you live and learn.

Then I put my uniform on for my first day at work in 7 weeks. Oh dear! My skirt is bigger than my trousers and I usually wear it on longer flights to somewhere hot because it accommodates any bloating (which I am prone to getting on flights) and is nice and loose and cool. It barely squeezed over my hips :oops: and I looked shrink wrapped in it. As for my jacket - I had to wear it with the buttons undone. I am told the last woman who did my current job ditched her uniform towards the end and wore a BA Flight Training t-shirt in the biggest size they do. I just feel that 11 weeks is a bit soon to be bursting out of my clothes!

So; waddling into work with my uniform only just containing me, I arrived for my first session in the simulator. After only 7 weeks away from it all it felt like a completely alien environment. I can't believe that it is only 7 weeks since I flew one of these things across Africa for real. I'm dreading to think of how alien it will feel after 9 months of baby talk and daytime television! Still, the other 2 pilots were talking about which was better - the Bahamas or the Indian coast of Africa. I think I could slot back into that without too much difficulty if I have to. I will be able to take OH and baby on staff travel tickets. I know of a married pair of pilots with a baby who are practically living on the beach at BA's expense. They take it in turns to get a few days off at work and the one not working babysits on the flight. Their baby's turning into a little beach bum.

So - long post (sorry) but a weird old day.

Hope you're all feeling well.

Oooh your poor OH.. sounds horrendous.... though obviously nothing compared to having a baby the wimp! (sorry - forgot I am not meant to take his side!) :rotfl:

well... my day yesterday can hardly compare to yours, very cool! I never even knew there were female pilots - never flown with one! Sure beats sitting at a desk doing a job I hate spending 5 hours on the internet as I have got nothing better to do!

Hi Mayday

Sorry to hear about your OH's tooth problem. TBH I couldn't read all that you wrote because it made me feel a bit nauseas. LOL I just hope he's feeling better soon.

I know what you mean about work clothes. Although I don't have to wear a uniform (there's many times when I wished I did to make the choice of what to wear a bit easier). I have bought a cheap pair of plain black trousers a size bigger to wear to work. Is it possible you could get something in the same colour as your uniform or are they very picky about what you wear?

I know what you mean about being out of touch. I've only been off a few days but feel a million miles from work right now!

:hug:

Sabrina

Sabrina,

it's much easier than that - I just go into uniform stores and tell them I want everything in a size bigger :lol: . Uniforms are sooo fab. You never have to decide what you are going to wear for work today. It can all go wrong though when you discover at 4am that you have no clean shirts. They do a maternity smock as well. I know I'm getting fat but I don't need one of those just yet!

Hi Mayday!!!

The tooth thing sounds awful, poor oh!!

I love hearing your flight stories!! It all sounds fascinating!! I know it probably isn't really but I like to hear them anyway!! I am actually scared of flying, but I think it is one of those morbid curiosity things!!!

(although remind me not to come on your first flight once back from maternity leave, hearing a captain say they feel as if they are in an alien environment does nothing to help my phobia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: )

mayday said:
Sabrina,

it's much easier than that - I just go into uniform stores and tell them I want everything in a size bigger :lol: . Uniforms are sooo fab. You never have to decide what you are going to wear for work today. It can all go wrong though when you discover at 4am that you have no clean shirts. They do a maternity smock as well. I know I'm getting fat but I don't need one of those just yet!

:think: Hmm a "maternity smock" really doesn't sound attractive :lol: This time around I'm really trying to avoid anything "smocky" and stick to the more fitted maternity clothing and separates too. I had one awful dress before which still sticks in my mind it was so awful :oops:

I will miss flying too. Last year I had 28 flights with holidays and work travel. This year I doubt I'll make it to half a dozen! I hope those airmiles don't go out of date :rotfl:

Sabrina
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back