4D ultrasounds.

*Cupcake*

Reaction score
A few people who Ive told im getting one in a few weeks have told me that they are really unsafe and im putting my baby at risk. Its really made me feel bad. Has anyone else heard of this and what problems are meant to cause?

if they were really unsafe then they wouldn't have hundreds of clinics over the UK offering them :) i ended up having three 4d scans because they didnt work the first couple of times but everythings fine with this baby

I don't think it's that they're definitely unsafe, it's just because they're a relatively new thing, the risks have not yet been fully assessed.

However, like others have said, they wouldn't offer them if they were harmful, and that is why they only ever scan you for a maximum of 20 mins, as that is the safe time limit at present.

I had one at 29 weeks. It was one of the highlights of my pregnancy, a thoroughly moving experience.

I'm having one on saturday. I've never heard anything about them being unsafe. Some people say that about the normal 2d one's. I'm not worried about it :D

Thanks all. I think Im going to ask my midwife about it again for peace of mind. Im really down at the moment and worry enough that Im not going to be a good mum without being told "Im harming my baby for the sake of a few pictures" My OH came home from work just and I couldnt stop crying and said I didnt want to go anymore. He said he had researched them lots before he booked it and wouldnt of gotten it for me if he thought it would harm our little girl. I feel abit better about it now :hug: :hug: :hug:

like the others said, if there was ANY indication of risk they would be withdrawn and thoroughly investigated...

with pregnancy the powers that be seem to err on the side of caution and assume its a danger unless proven otherwise (like botox...you cant have it even tho no risk has been found)

so if its allowed, its a fair guess its been proven to be risk free for the durations we use them for at least

This is a case of semantics.

Research into the effects of treatment or products on pregnant women and their babies is almost non-existent because no one in their right mind would put them self at risk in a clinical trial and it would be amoral.

The upshot of this is that nothing is ever really guaranteed as 'safe' but neither is it guaranteed as 'unsafe'.

I had read similar things about 4D scans being 'unsafe'. What they really mean is that there is no research to prove that they are safe. This does not mean they are not safe. It simply means there have been no clinical trials to prove it conclusively.

The technology used is very similar to a 2D scan. Most of the fancy work is done with the computer.

We went for a 4D scan and loved every second of it.

Put the scare mongering of the headline hungry media out of your mind and enjoy one of the best experiences of your life to date.

Good!

You should be really looking forward to it! You're not harming your baby for the sake of a few pictures at all.

We booked ours weeks in advance and couldn't wait. After seeing your little one in glorious 4D you'll be grinning from ear to ear for a week.

Here's one of the images we got:

articles-1-1198247303_thumb.jpg

Go for it, its the best ever. As the others said...everything is deemed risky nowadays... :hug:

you should definitely go. Its the most amazing thing I have ever seen. matt and I loved it & would so do it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back