45 minutes wake ups and swaddling

Minchin

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone may be able to help...

LO sleeps pretty well, he needs so much sleep still! During the day he can only stay awake for an hour each time and then needs 2 hours sleep before feed and the cycle starts again. He goes down quite well in his cot, I'm still swaddling him during day but recently stopped at a night. He puts himself to sleep with a dummy then it pops out, usually stays asleep. But after 45 mins wakes pretty upset and crying/screaming...I read that their sleep cycles are 45 mins and they often hve difficulty transitioning to next cycle. He will then not be comofrted by reassurance in his cot but need cuddles, he'll fall back asleep but more often than not wake up and cry once I put him back in cot. Usually resort to popping him in the moby sling where he cries a bit then sleeps well. I love the sling but he's a big boy and I have shoulder probs so hurting my back a bit at times.

So can anyone give me advise?!!

1. How do we stop these 45 min wake ups and just get him to stay asleep for his naps?!!

BTW - no 45 min wake up at night time when he goes to bed. So weird! but you could set teh clock by him at day time!

2. Also-when do you need to stop swaddling? He's starting to bust out of it and he likes to have his arms above his head so last few nights just had him in sleeping bag. Slept pretty well but when going to sleep he really fuses with his arms, rubbing his face and whacking himself, often waking him up. Last night when he went down and each time after his feeds I had to help by hlding his arms down until he was felly asleep!!

Thanks...any advise v much appreciated!

I don't know how to brake the 45min thing but didn't want read and run Chloe is 3 weeks old now and I have stopped swaddling her because she took a sudden dislike to it so I pop her in a grow bag now xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as Evie, not sure about the nap's but I don't swaddle charley. He didn't like it from birth and is now in a sleeping bag!

thanks guys.
hopefully he will grow out of the 45 min wake up...

Tonight he fell asleep sucking on his hands and I didn'y need to stand there and hold his arms down at all! Seems with the dummy in he just wanted to suck on his hands and this made him go into a bit of a frenzy and whack himself. So no dummy tonight and just hand sucking, all good so far! Hope it stays that way. One problem may be solved!!:):)

Have you tried him on his tummy? We'd get Ross off to sleep then he'd startle, throw his arms out in front of him and start screaming. So we flipped him on his tummy and somehow he feels so much safer. It's a bit awkward during the day though trying to find ways to get him onto his tummy for a nap but he manages!

Last edited:
Charlie was a 30 minute sleeper during the day...I swear we could time his naps to exactly 30 minutes and his feeds to exactly every 4 hours, he was such a routine baby!!!!
Night times were no problem and slept well in his moses basket then transferred to the cot in sleeping bags...would not nap in the cot though so used the pram in the living room or out in the car.

Thanks...
He hated tummy til recently so maybe worth a try. He stayed asleep last night but then one good thing always followed by a problem! wanted to stay awake 2.30-4.30,:wall2: hasn't done that for ages, tummy ache maybe as very 'kicky' with his legs.
had to have big lie in the morning to compensate (45 minute lie in naps obviously!!) :)

:)megsmeadow-it appears I have a tummy sleeper!! Thanks so much for your suggestion! Only wish I'd have popped on his tum sooner!

Never thought about trying him but he LOVES it! drops off quickly sucking his hands and this morning managed to suck his hands and soothe himself back to sleep after the 45 min wake up!! I know they're meant to be on their backs but he looks so cosy and sleeps so quickly and so well, maybe now he'll decide he doesn't have to wake up every 3 hours for feeds in the night?!! I can only hope

:yay: for the tummy sleepers! It does help if they have a bit of wind or a sore tummy to have thre pressure on. Our hv said that as long as you have reduced the other risk factors when baby is sleeping then do it. My friend knows a girl who's partner is Cuban and her MIL was shocked babies go down on their back here, it's always tummy there, and on their side on America!

They'll prob change the advise back to tummy sleeping in a few years anyway!

He looks much cosier and less 'vulnerable' on his tummy, I was worried all night though and kept checking he was breathing!! I am silly! Fingers crossed that this solves some of the problems! I love sleeping on my tummy-missed it so much when was pregnant and can't now as my boobs feel too sensitive!!

Ross can roll from front to back now but can't get back onto his front so lies chatting away until we go through to turn him :) I'm the same, very much a tummy sleeper, so is OH, doesn't surprise me that our LO's have the same tendancies! Fingers crossed for Owen sleeping through now!! :)

yes everything crossed!

hehe, funny little pickles they are! love their chatting :):)

yay that you found a solution.

ananbelles a side sleeper, its kind of side slight tummy if that makes sense?

how do you guys put them on their tummys? like where do you put their faces, do you put them to the side yourself? x

yeah I put his face to the side, (oftne he has his dummy to put himself to sleep) sometimes in past few days we have put him on back as he's rubbing his face on the sheet and seems to be looking for boob and feeling frustrated then after waking and moaning/dream feed/later on flipped him onto tum. It's weird cos once I think something works I seem to get stuck on it without realising and forget there's other things I can try!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back