33 weeks and sleeping on my right side...

MariaIsabella

Reaction score
I try to sleep on my left but keep rolling over and sleep the majority of night on my right side. Can i cause any harm?? Xx

I always fall asleep on my right because it's more comfortable. I do swap if I wake up but mw told me it's ok. I also sleep sat up so woth 5 pillows which is ok ad long as your not flat.

They say to sleep on the left because it increases the supply of blood and nutrients to the placenta - but baby will still get everything she needs if you sleep on the right. I try to sleep on my left as much as possible but as I've got further along I haven't been able to last a whole night sleeping on one hip without a lot of pain. For the last 8 weeks or so I've had to alternate sides.

I prefer laying on my right side too. Sometimes I do roll onto my left but I don't stay there very long, it's a lot comfier facing the other way.

Tri hopping here - I've been trying my hardest to sleep on my left, but find myself waking up on my right. Seems the little lady that I'm growing doesn't like me laying on my right side and has a right kick off at me until I go back to the left side!!! X

I fall asleep on my left but always wake up on my right. Whenever I get up in the night, which is about a millions times!! I get back into bed and fall asleep on my left again but wake up on the right again! Don't think it does any harm at all like all the other replies say :)

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel a lot better! Its impossible to control what you're doing in your sleep! I get bad hip pain sleeping on one side only.. Must be better to get a good night sleep than forcing yourself to sleep on left side in pain! Xx

I have always been comfier on my right side, even before I was pregnant. I try to fall asleep on my left side, which I do, but quite often wake up on the right hand side, so always return to the left after my millionth time going for a wee!

For me baby is laying on my left side so with water retention it just works out better to sleep on the right. Try alternative but I don't think there's any harm on either side, both are better than sleeping on your back.

I sleep on my right or on my back. It won't harm the baby x

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel a lot better! Its impossible to control what you're doing in your sleep! I get bad hip pain sleeping on one side only.. Must be better to get a good night sleep than forcing yourself to sleep on left side in pain! Xx

Yeah, my midwife says avoid sleeping flat on your back if you can or if it makes you dizzy, but the most important thing is to sleep! No point in giving yourself insomnia over which side you are laying on.

Just be grateful if backache, restless legs, frequent urination, anxiety, baby movements, etc are not keeping you awake all night! :nap:

Last edited:
I'm a tummy sleeper usually and always on the left side more. I was getting away with half on my front and side but baby won't have it now so it's just left side. Although I sometimes wake up on my back and did last time towards the end I hate sleeping on my back but we can't control these things.

xxxxx

I sleep any way i can!
I asked my consultant about the back sleeping thing and he said some women find it makes them lightheaded and that's why it's best they avoid it but he said it isn't to do with baby it's advised against.
Honestly I'm waking up so much with heartburn & needing the toilet that I'd sleep standing up if i could lol xx

It shouldn't matter as long as you are not flat on your back as this will drop your blood pressure.

I'm a both side sleeper and I wake up a lot on my back! It isn't too much of a problem ... Just important that you sleep lots x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back