2nd pregnancy - natural after forceps/episiotomy

heatheror12

Reaction score
Just found out I'm pregnant again. My son is 9months. Abit of a suprise but a lovely one. I know it's early but was just wondering if anybody had a natural labour with there 2nd after a forceps delivery? I was induced due to reduced movements at 41 weeks my labour was quite traumatic and ended in forceps and episiotomy and my son was a very healthy 9lb 8.5oz ! It took me around 12 weeks to recover an feel half normal again and even now I get the occasional pain.
I just want to know if anyone has a positive story or anyobe been in the same situation !
I will be consultant led anyways as I had Asd heart op, so I know I can discuss my options with them aswell !!
Thanks

No idea. I was induced and ended up with a forceps delivery and episiotomy also so keeping an eye on this one. Just assumed though that it wouldn't affect subsequent births? All is healed up so assuming there shouldn't be issues?

Last edited:
I still get a little bit of pain now and then! As it was quite traumatic I just want to hear some nice 2nd time around experiences lol. U just wonder if it can make the scar re open bein so soon ? Humm lol I guess I'll find out in 9months lol x

I can't help from personal experience but my mum had a hard labour with episiotomy and forceps with my brother. I was next and she had a natural home birth with only a small graze that didn't even need stitches. My younger sister was a natural hospital birth again no mayjor problems. We were all over 9lbs. None of the labours were exactly short and easy but each one got shorter and she says you can't compare the recovery time. She felt pretty much normal within a couple of days of my birth.

Induction is known to cause a higher rate of interventions. During a natural labour your body and the baby are in charge of when it starts and how fast it progresses. If the baby is not in quite the right position for example contractions usually slow down to give the baby time to move. Induction forces strong contractions which sometimes don't let the baby get into the right position, or don't give enough time for its head to mold. Obviously your induction was for a good reason but if that is what caused it there is no reason to expect the same problems this time. Even if you are induced again it doesn't mean the same problem will come up.

Maybe look into things that can help prevent need for interventions, like an active labour and trying different positions like hands and knees or even a water birth.

Last edited:
Aww thanks for your reply. I know that not all labours end up like that but just makes me nervous ! At least last time I didn't know what to expect ! I'm hoping this time they will keep an eye on baby's size and it won't all be such a panic. X

I was 9lbs 8oz so big babies don't always cause a problem. Do you have problems with GD?

I had a forced delivery with an episiotomy with my first. I fell pregnant when he was 11months and still had pain and discomfort in my scar. Due to several infections in the weeks post his birth. I was offered a c section due to the problems with my scar but decided I wanted a natural delivery. I ended up being induced due to issues with my pregnancy and had a amazing delivery with no intervention. I needed 2 stitches due to my LO putting his arm up as he came out but I barely noticed. I was up and about straight away. Such a different experience to my first delivery and recovery!! Both my boys weighed exactly the same 7lb 8.5oz x

I had no problems in my pregnancy just reduced movements towards the end. I did have a bit of sciatic nerve pain but nothing to bad. I don't think id opt for a c section to be honest, just hope 2nd time round is better and I recover quicker than last time :) x

With my first I had an episiotomy with ventouse so a little similar. My scar healed nicely and I had no major issues.
With baby no 2 who is now 4 weeks old, I had to be induced, had my water broke, and had an amazing natural delivery. No intervention, 2 hour labour, baby was a healthy 8lb 4oz with no tears only a very small graze.
x

Thanks for all your comments !! I'm hoping that I will have a lovely 2nd labour ! My 1st thoughts when I found out was worryin about labour lol. I'm sure fingers crossed the same thibg won't happen twice ! C

Hi heather

I was a first child born by forceps (due to facing the wrong way) and my mum had a traumatic time and ended up with hundreds of stitches. (Sorry mum)

However my two younger brothers were delivered naturally and I think she may have had a couple of stitches with each, but their births were otherwise fine, middle brother was about 8 lbs, youngest brother 7 lb something.

xx

That's great to hear !! I'm feeling confident for a natural delivery now :) like I said before I don't think I would have opted for a c section. But very nervous about the delivery. I'm also hoping I don't have to be induced again because I thibk that played a big part in the traumatic labour lol. X

Hi Hun, my son was born after a 29 hour labour via forceps and episiotomy. It took months for me to feel back to normal. He was 9lb 1oz.
I really really worried about my labour with my daughter. From my waters breaking to delivery was just short of 8 hours with just gas and air and she arrived 20 minutes after arriving at the hospital. She was 9lb 2oz. I had a 2nd degree tear and some grazing (but she delivered with her hand up next to her face) but it was so so much better than being cut. I wasn't in any pain, just some discomfort from the stitches as they were healing.

My first I was induced at 42 weeks, failed ventouse and then forceps delivery. Second 5 1/2 years later I was induced at 39wks due to reduced movement and gave birth with no intervention at all.

1st baby was induced drip, failed epi, episiotomy 2nd degree cut, back to back 35 hour labour. Terrible! 2nd baby, the right way round, 6 hour labour, 5 minutes pushing, gas and air, no intervention, no tares or grazing. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back