20 week scans?

Toxic_Angel

Reaction score
What exactly do they do at 20 week scan? My last 12 week scan only lasted about 5 minutes all she did was say everythings fine an measured the head.
I would personaly like a tour of the babys body? like feet n stuff

I had my 20 week scan about a week ago and it took about 25 minutes. She showed us everything and it was brilliant.

It was like a mini tour of the baby...we saw feet, toes, fingers and were able to count them. We even zoomed in on her ear! The sonographer measured the leg length, looked in detail at the heart chambers, kidneys, bladder, brain etc.

Thye 20 week scan is much more thorough than the 12 week one. You'll love it!!!

I think it may depend on the sonogropher aswell, the one we had for our 12 week scan was really good and she showed us everything, and even zoomed in on the face so we saw it's mouth opening and closing. She spent about 20 mins with us, I think she sensed that I was woried and wanted to reassure me :)

Our 12 wees scan was pretty disappointing in the sense that she dodn't spend long enough on us at all. We got around 3 minutes and she raced through the whole "there's the head, there's an arm, there's..."

All because we had had 3 emergency scans between 6 and 9 weeks. The thing is though.. those scans lasted around 45 seconds and only checked for a heartbeat, plus Flump was absolutely tiny at that point and you couldn't make out anything on the screen (head, arms, legs, etc).

As soon as she saw we'd had emergency scans she said "We'll just do a quick scan and won't bother with measurements or anything". Well THANKS! Waited weeks for this and you won't give us 5 minutes! :(

We only found out the baby's current size at that time as Matt got cheeky and mentioned that he is always curious to see how much the baby has grown. After a huff, she clicked then clicked again and mumbled 42mm.

In fact, we were so disappointed that we came straight home and booked a BabyBond 2D (dating) scan for September 21st.

I CANNOT WAIT!

20 week scan is on October 26th. Can't wait for that either!!

Yeah, iv had 3 scans all together so far, 2 emergency and my 12 week one. what am gona do on tuesday is ask the sonographer to write down babys sex on a piece of paper (if he/she not being shy) so shes not like annoucing it if you get what i mean? its more personal that way i think?
I'm hoping she will show me everything so i can see how much baby has grown an that.
Tempted to book 4d scan hmmm tempting lol

thats a good idea asking them to write the sex down on a piece of paper.

Wish I'd thought of that :wall: - oh well never mind.

Bet you are so excited about it :dance:

Yeah i'm uber excited although scared incase anything is wrong

debbie - we've got our anomaly scans on the same day! i'm sooo impatient though... am gonna be 22+4 by then... it feels like forever away :(

The 20 weeks scan (5 months) is when the doc who's doing the scan (can't spell the right name lol) measures the baby, everything, head, arms, legs, body, umbelical cord, brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and other vital body organs. Bascially at 20 weeks, the baby is big enough to see if he/she has everything and has no initial problems, holes or any disforms that can be viewed. This is an essential scan to have. So if you LO is good and stays still it can take 15 - 20 minutes, however, if your LO is a wriggle, expect to be there for 30-60 mis or even do half that day and the rest of the scan the next day.

You may seen women go in, 10 mins later come out, walking about, eating mars bars and hen going back in. This is so the baby changes position.

purple13 said:
debbie - we've got our anomaly scans on the same day! i'm sooo impatient though... am gonna be 22+4 by then... it feels like forever away :(

We do? Cool! I will be 20+4 by then :D Can't wait!

Our 12 wees scan was pretty disappointing in the sense that she dodn't spend long enough on us at all. We got around 3 minutes and she raced through the whole "there's the head, there's an arm, there's..."

All because we had had 3 emergency scans between 6 and 9 weeks. The thing is though.. those scans lasted around 45 seconds and only checked for a heartbeat, plus Flump was absolutely tiny at that point and you couldn't make out anything on the screen (head, arms, legs, etc).

As soon as she saw we'd had emergency scans she said "We'll just do a quick scan and won't bother with measurements or anything". Well THANKS! Waited weeks for this and you won't give us 5 minutes! :(

We only found out the baby's current size at that time as Matt got cheeky and mentioned that he is always curious to see how much the baby has grown. After a huff, she clicked then clicked again and mumbled 42mm.

In fact, we were so disappointed that we came straight home and booked a BabyBond 2D (dating) scan for September 21st.

I CANNOT WAIT!

20 week scan is on October 26th. Can't wait for that either!!

Yeah, iv had 3 scans all together so far, 2 emergency and my 12 week one. what am gona do on tuesday is ask the sonographer to write down babys sex on a piece of paper (if he/she not being shy) so shes not like annoucing it if you get what i mean? its more personal that way i think?
I'm hoping she will show me everything so i can see how much baby has grown an that.
Tempted to book 4d scan hmmm tempting lol

thats a good idea asking them to write the sex down on a piece of paper.

Wish I'd thought of that :wall: - oh well never mind.

Bet you are so excited about it :dance:

The 20 weeks scan (5 months) is when the doc who's doing the scan (can't spell the right name lol) measures the baby, everything, head, arms, legs, body, umbelical cord, brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and other vital body organs. Bascially at 20 weeks, the baby is big enough to see if he/she has everything and has no initial problems, holes or any disforms that can be viewed. This is an essential scan to have. So if you LO is good and stays still it can take 15 - 20 minutes, however, if your LO is a wriggle, expect to be there for 30-60 mis or even do half that day and the rest of the scan the next day.

You may seen women go in, 10 mins later come out, walking about, eating mars bars and hen going back in. This is so the baby changes position.

purple13 said:

We do? Cool! I will be 20+4 by then :D Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back