20 Week Scan - Low Placenta

PinkHank

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

On Thursday I had my 20 week scan, the baby is doing absolutely fine and all the measurements are fine etc. So that is wonderful news. :)

I was so relieved to see he/she on the screen moving about as early that morning I woke up with minor cramping, and when I went to the toilet I had bled. I phoned up our Maternity Dept, who were very helpful and as the blood was pinky and I had a scan that morning they told me not to panic but to phone or go down if I had anymore.

Whilst at the scan the lady told me that my Placenta is low, and so its blocking the babies exit.
I have been booked in for another scan at 32 weeks to see if it has shifted. If it hasn't I will have another scan at 36 weeks, and if it still hasn't moved by then I will have to be booked in for a C-Section. I was upset to hear this news, but they also told me that there is a big chance that my Placenta will move before then. Has anyone else experienced this?

In the meantime if I have anymore bleeding I hae to phone them straightaway.

I would be really interested to hear if anyone else has been told their Placenta is lying low, and the outcome etc. I can't help but worry.

Thanks all for listening.

x

Last edited:
Hi hun,
I'm the same had my 20 week scan and have a low placenta, I bleed a little at first but haven't for a while so fingers crossed. I have to go bk in may for a 32 week scan to see if the placenta has moved if not I'll be scanned again at 36 and so on, same as u if it's not moved I'll have a section, this is my second baby n I had a section with my first so I'm not worrin about as what will be will be x x x

Amandapanda had a low lying placenta and was hospitalised for a while due to concerns but it has moved up now and she looks set for a normal birth

Yes as cantstop says amandapanda had this and it seems to have moved up enough now xx

PinkHank - I'm in the same boat as yourself and just have to wait too. Here's hoping ours pulls up. I had a c-section about 14yrs ago with my DS, and I was hoping to avoid it this time around, but I'm not too fazed if it turns out that I'll need a c-section cos I've had it previously, and kinda know what to expect (well I hope I do after 14yrs haha). x

Yep mine was covering and I was in hospital for 16 days - they gave me steroids for baby's lungs cause they thought my placenta was gonna rupture at any point and I'd need an emergency c section. Best case scenario I was told was c section at 37 weeks. Had a scan on Weds and it is now 6cm up, is no longer low lying at all and I'm all set for a normal full term delivery. Definitely watch out for any bleeding as it needs to be monitored closely, but other than that it just takes time and as your bump gets bigger your placenta is pulled back up - in 9 times out of 10 this happens - and even in my case which was looking really bad for a while it managed it :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back