Low lying placenta

Elliellie

Reaction score
Hi ladies, i had my 20 week scan yesterday and all was well with baby :) I was told that my placenta is quite low though & I will need a scan at 34 weeks to see if it has moved. They didn't seem overly concerned but after coming home & googling it & reading some pretty scary stuff about people haemorrhaging & such like, now I'm a bit worried! Also a lot of people were saying their doc told them not to have sex, mine said nothing about that! Does anyone have any experience of or advice on this?

if you have seen stuff on the internet that has raised questions, eg like whether you should have sex or not, contact your midwife and ask her views. If you still dont get a confident answer, then talk to your GP- i have found sometimes they dont think to tell you some things as they forget, so i always ask as many qns as i can- dont get me started on the nhs lol.

I have a low placenta too Hun and have a scan at 36 weeks apparently they usually move up! But f not it means c section

Mines low lying too - have a scan at 36 weeks (but that's standard over here) they never mentioned anything about sex to me either.

Its quite common to have a low lying placenta.
I had one with AJ, by the time I had my 34 wk scan it had moved. No-one told me not to have sex. :)

My daughter-in-law had this diagnosed at 20 weeks - by the time she had a private scan at around 27 weeks it had moved completely. I wouldn't worry about it - things change constantly. x

I was told I have a low lying placenta at my 20 week scan to. The doctor did tell me to take it easy: no exercise besides walking, no lifting, and sex is ok but has to be gentle. I will have a scan at 28 or 30 weeks to check on it. I have a friend who had placenta previa (it was covering her cervix) and she had very strict orders not to do anything, so I think it all depends how low it is for the midwife or doc to tell you to be careful.

Thank you for the replies! I feel a lot less worried knowing they mostly move up. Wish I didn't have to wait so long to find out though!

I had this too, and then made the mistake of worrying myself by googling it. But appartently 50% of women have it at their 20 week scans and it moves up naturally. The consultant checked mine at my last scan and its started to move up, I asked her about the exercise and dtd, and she said it was perfectly ok, just to take it easy as you need to anyway in pregnancy and that its only if its completely covering the neck of the cervix that they advise you to abstane. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back