2 week old with constipation.... updated!!

gemmap27

Reaction score
I know that giving cooled boiled water will help, but do I give him this as well as his normal formula milk? He was up all night screaming and grunting trying to go! It makes me feel so helpless, I feel like Im doing something wrong?
God why dont they come with manuals!

i used to give alice a couple of teaspoons of cooled boiled water before her milk.

there is also a way of rubbing their bellys to help get things moving:
What can you do to treat constipation?

Massage your baby's tummy

Start at the belly button and then massage outwards in circles in a clockwise direction. Some oil or cream on your fingers can also help.

Only continue if your baby enjoys the massage and is comfortable and relaxed.

Move your baby's legs in a cycling motion
Place your baby so he or she is lying on their back. Hold their legs and turn them gently in a quick cycling motion.

This will make the stomach muscles move and, in turn, put gentle pressure on the intestines to make them move.

Give your baby a bath

A warm bath can make your baby relax so the stools are passed more easily. Once your baby has relaxed in the bath, you can also massage their stomach (see above).

When you wash your baby's bottom, apply some cream or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) around the outside of the anus.

Don't use a thermometer to stimulate movement

Don't put a thermometer or anything else inside your baby's anus to stimulate bowel movement, because this may cause damage.

Check you are making formula correctly
If your baby is on formula milk, you should follow the instructions on the package carefully. Making the mixture too thick by putting in more than the recommended amount of powder can lead to constipation and other medical problems.

There are different brands of formula milk on the market, and they are basically of equal quality. It's best to stick to the same brand, because different formulas may require different dilutions.

Give cooled, boiled water

You can give your baby extra fluids with bottles of cooled, boiled water.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advic ... pation.htm

my aunt put a small ball of soap up my brothers bum when he was a baby, but i don't think that is recomended!!!! :lol:

thanks!!

Still no sign of any movement!! will try the baby massage next!!

XX

you could try a little camomile tea, very weak. That's what they recommend here in Greece,
or my doc told me to put a teaspoon of sugar in Matildas milk - but I refused!

Well I dont know why I was worried because the last 3 nappies have more than made up for the constipation!
The boiled water and tummy massage must have one the trick! Thanks!!!

I had the same with Harrison and he went loads then got constipated again, but now is as regular as clockwork :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back