• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

19-month-old speech

trixipaws

Reaction score
millie is 19 months old. she understands much, b/c when we ask her for something, she will go and get it. when we ask for a kiss, she scrunches her nose up in the cutest way and leans towards our face (hehee love it!) if she feels like it, that is :wink:

and if u say "where is...?" she points to the correct thing.

but she doesnt say any words yet really. she'll say the occasional one, but she isnt saying the words she can point to (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, ceiling, floor, drink etc- altho she can say cat and daddy) and she wont say poo or wee if she's done a nappy.

she talks LOADS she is a motormouth :lol: but none of it is real WORDS yet its just toddleygook (LOVE that word! someone at work said that i nicked it!) which is adorable but i'm concerned when i hear about other people's kids aged 12-18 months who are speaking more words than millie :think:

please share your 19-month-old's (or thereabouts) speech development please!

my next HV visit (since the last at 12 months) is 36 months!!! :shock: feel a bit "left to fend for myself" :?

If your worried drop into your HV and make a mention of it. I hear that the NHS is a lot more receptive to speech problems in kids nowadays. Way back when, nearly 10 years ago they weren't and I had to really battle to get some help for Tia.

The thing that did it for me was when Tia was 2 and I called my friend, who's little girl was just 14 months was talking to her mum. It was as clear as day and I thought it was her older son. :shock:

Her hearing seems fine so you will probably be put on a course to help you learn skills that will help Millie learn to talk. How you talk to her is very important towards her learning how to talk.

At that age Tia said around 2 words clearly and around 4 other words which were more sounds than words...da for that din for drink, di di for biscuit. So nothing really. We were put on one course then Tia was sent to a special nursery for 1 term. She went with a couple of kids and they all improved... so it was really good for them...sadly Tia didn't but then thats when they looked into things and found out that she was partially deaf.

From having one who could barely talk up until she was 2.5 years old...to having one who can say 10+ clear words before the age of 1, I was shocked at just how far behind Tia really was and more angry that people didn't believe me back then. So if you have some worries... Go to your HV tell her and see what help there is available... If you feel thats not good enough then go to your GP....You spend most of your time with Millie and you know her best. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Edit to say that Tia never babbled either...so the fact Millie can talk even if it is in Toddlergook then thats a really good sign. :D

My nephew is 20 months and he only says the odd word he points and grunts at you but will not speak on command.

He understands like Millie but will not respond with words or if he does its just toddleygook.

We have a good few words... mummy, daddy, ta, hello, bye... doggy, babbit (rabbit), goggy (yogurt), soos/soosoos (shoes), goat (coat), gook (book), ninner (dinner), purple, duck, dee (tree), gacgor (tractor), choochoo (train), car.

He doesn't really respond to questions that much though but if you say the word he'll point at the picture and vice versa which we teach him with books. Or if we say shoes or coat he'll fetch his (and my) shoes.. just things like that really.

I think the main thing is to reply to the gobbledegook as if you are having a conversation and give them time to reply to anything you say (even though they might not really understand it) and take it in turns even if the conversation actually doesn't mean anything, and be positive instead of trying to correct the mistake word.. so if Ryan says ninner OH says yes it's time for dinner, as if he'd got it right.. if you know what I mean.

That's all we do anyways :)

x

Matilda says mummy, mama, baba, daddy, yaya, nanny, baboos(greek for grandad), ya (greek for hello/goodbye),there, bikit, lolly, gala (greek for milk), baby, teddy. she's just starting saying yes and no and more! :)roll:) she also points to things if we ask her questions. in the last week or so she now says 'there daddy', there mama, etc so she's starting trying to make sentences. she says 'woo woo' for dog, baa for goat, she can also say some of her cousins names .

There's other things that she says meaning certain things like 'bella' for swing, no-noo for dummy, mwah for kiss, things like that.

some words that she says I'm not sure if they're 'real' words as they could be greek.

I'm sure that you'll find that words will start becoming clearer over the next few weeks.

luke is a bit older and talks in sentences and his speech is really good he has a good vocab but he was slower to walk. "they all have their own timetable"my mothers words of wisdom i hear ringing in my ears!! :lol: i know we had a thread a while back where lucybee, kellie80 and was it jaidy?? had worries about thier lil ones speech maybe they can help you hun.

my friends boys (who are twins) were exactly the same had good understanding and the HV wasn't worried and when they turned 2 as if overnight they both started yabbering away like anything literally out of nowhere, i think your right to get advice but im sure its nothing to worry about hun xx :hug:

Up until very recently, I would say about 22 months Dan said very little. Just about 10 words. I took him to see my HV about 3-4 months ago and we have a follow up appointment this week.
But in the last 6 weeks he really has started saying more and more. Among other words, he now says head, cheeks (our cat), bye, cheers, apple, pear, Nan, plane, turkey, Tom (thomas the tank) and he can count to 5.

I've lazily copied what they told me from another thread. Hope it helps :D
(Dan was about 20 months at this point)

Well Dan had his assessment today. It went pretty well
She's not overly concerned at this stage, but we have to go back in Jan when he's 2 for a re-assessment.

She said that if there was a problem than normally (not always) there would also be other areas of concern. She checked his walking, climbing, if he took notice of loud noises. If he pointed to things and if he understood when I asked him to do stuff. Which he is fine with. At this age she isn't so much concerned with speech, but if he actually understands what I am communicating.

Her advise was to make sure you sing lots of songs and reading. Also when you talk make sure they can see your mouth as that is how they form words, by copying you.

.............oh forgot to say he also says poo poo! :lol:

hehee shell yes i talk toddleygook back to her, i love it! its really cute :D

thanx everyone, i'm not so worried now. she definately understands far more than she can speak. she tells us if she's hungry or tired (not by speech by nodding or shaking her head when asked!) she's a bright girl. just cant understand her :lol:

Im sure youve not got anything to worry about, babies all seem to have there own markers, and do things when they seem ready, my daughtet is fifteen months and can say over 20 words without being asked to repeat after me and knows what each mean, my brother is 21months and is almost talking in sentences and words are very clear.. on the other hand one of my friends have twin boys of 3yrs old, at 18months one of them were like my brother but yet the other wouldnt say anything, was clear he understood but wouldnt talk. now if anything the LO that wouldnt talk is much brighter that the other. both of which are very healthy and clever young boys. so your right to question and get tips and advice but i seriously wouldnt worry xxx

xxxx linzi xxxx

Seren was late at talking and spoke toddleygook (am so nicking that) almost constantly. However she just seemed to get the hang of talking and is brilliant at speech. She knows tons of words and is very good at putting sentences together to explain what she wants, how she is feeling etc. I always get compliments on how good her speech is (smug mum smiley inserted here) so I really wouldn't stress as Milly sounds like she is doing great.

Alex is 16 months and only jibbers

Lydia on the other hand was speaking 3 word sentences by the same age, pronounced clearly

it depends on the child

My DS is 22 months and he isn't really saying any words at all. He grunts and points etc and me and his two older sisters know what he wants so he's communicating, just not saying audible words :lol:

My daughters were both speaking at this age, but I'm not worried about Sam. He'll talk when he's ready, I think he's just lazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back