13mth old getting fussy with breakfast

kitten2014

Reaction score
Hi guys, our lil miss has always had a healthy appetite since 5mths old when we introduced solids...she would always have a good bowl of cereal/porridge or weetabix and then half a slice of toast and a piece of fruit along with 5oz milk in a sippy cup...recently she hardly eats any toast, takes maybe 2-3 spoonfuls of cereal (tried diff varietities, me feeding, her trying to feed herself) but it ends up in frustration for both of us. Fruit usually works but can also be hit and miss...then of course an hour or so later she's asking for food and I offer her healthy snacks...depending on how occupied she is it will be like this til lunch when finally she eats more and goes much longer....do I stop offering snack or reduce breakfast portions or just accept she is getting fussy now?

Hey! Is she hungry enough at that time? Maybe offer breakfast half an hour later to see if she will eat more? I doubt she's getting fussy they just go through funny growth Spurts and things when they are that little - xx

My lg is 12 months, she has a bottle of cows milk when she wakes (about 7oz), I was giving her breakfast as soon as we were up but she started being fussy so now I wait atleast and hour and she eats much better

It's good you're offering a variety but I would just think maybe she's not hungry

Just an idea. My 11 month old got quite fussy in general. I now give her dry cereal which she is happy to have. I am guessing your lg tries to feed herself with a spoon. Could you change what she has too?

Is she going through a teething spell? This can sometimes happen with teething. Or, like Flexilexi suggested, maybe offer breakfast abit later. My LO has breakfast at nursery most days so I dont have the fight with feeding times x

Last edited:
hi guys thanks for all your ideas, we have weaned her off bottlein the morning and she has milk in sippy cup as a drink. I dont bring the food out til she asks for it which she does with sign language and some days she doesnt tell me she's hungry til 9 or 10am (gets up at 7ish) and because she knows she can tell me she's hungry she doesnt get upset or anything. I then bring her food out...funny you suggest dry cereal as tried that today and think she prefers it to with milk (takes after her mummy lol), she has recently has an 8th tooth come trhu and has a bit of inflammation in one of her ears after a recent cold so probably off her food a bit but she is fine for snacks and lunch both of which are mostly finger food so guessing she just doesnt like spoon fed. she has spoon fed for tea (meat and veg) and generally ok with that cos she's hungry enuff by end of the day to let me i GUESS...WHO KNOWS...

Sounds like she's wanting to feed herself. I've recently had a similar stand off with my one year old, he just refused to be spoon fed anything.

Now I just put half his cereal out dry on his tray for him to feed himself with fruit and toast. I put milk in the other half, keep the bowl but let him have the spoon. Meal times have become a lot messier as a result!!

Hi littlemonkey messy yes lol, we are carpeted and we put a towel down to catch the mess but when she starts tipping bowls it does get messy lol, I know she has to learn but for my own sanity have bought a non slip mat thing that will mean bowls and plates dont move, fed up of picking up the food she drops lol...

Hi my daughter did exactly the same, it turns out she wants to do it herself so now has a bowl of shreddies of her own with some chopped up banana and milk in a sippy cup. She's happy with anything she can pick up and feed herself though, she also eats branflakes out of daddies bowl.

Hi Aimee, we're trying it that way today as yesterday she ate lots of cereal by hand so have offered her fruit cereal and toast on same plate with her milk so we shall c.

I don't give my LO anything in a bowl or on a plate. I learned quickly with my eldest, it's just asking for disaster!

It either gets put out straight on his highchair tray for him to feed himself, or I hang onto the bowl and pass him the spoon to feed himself.

I gave him weetabix on his tray this morning, put a bit of milk on top so it went soft and left him to it!!

hi littlemonkey, I just felt it was time she learned as like you always used tray but kept getting asked why I dont use a plate/bowl lol...I have bought a seal thingy though so the plate cant move from the table til I want it to lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back