Your opinions re: induction

emma_85

Reaction score
Ok, I have started this thread as I would like to know people's opinions on inducing labour naturally by yourself, without the 'say so' from a health professional.

I personally am against these theories for several reasons -

1. The risk of birth defects. I have read and heard in a variety of places/articles that if a pregnant lady is to attempt her own induction of labour when the baby is not ready it can cause birth defects and slow development of the child.

2. Why would anyone self medicate? Surely if your midwife or Dr thought your labour needed to progress more quickly, they would induce you themself in the way that it is SAFE to do so, or that they are QUALIFIED in doing that is best for you and for your unborn.

3. One article I read states - " "Some inductions are very low-risk and appropriate, even electively. But I think in general, the public is misinformed in terms of the risk."

Dr. Parker also warns about the medications used to induce labor, which could have harmful affects. "These are powerful drugs and medications used to induce labor," he says. "Given in the wrong amounts or not monitored appropriately, patients can put their baby at risk of hyperstimulation of the uterus – too many contractions [which cause] fetal distress. There can be uterine rupture because the contractions are too strong and hard. There can be excessive bleeding and other problems that may ultimately result in an emergency C-section. And although we do a great job at C-section, there's still going to be that small percentage of women who have complications from those Cesareans." "

4. There are so many 'pro's and con's' around inducing labour, WITHOUT the recommendation of a healthcare professional - why would any Mum to be risk the possiblity of any of the cons happening to their unborn, when these cons could be avoided if we waited a little longer...

I'm really interested to know what you all think - and could we have an amicable discussion about it between us. This thread is not to cause negative feelings between any of us.

I think a healthy debate/discussion can take place without offending/upsetting others. Keep it clean guys! :wink:

x x x

The only ways I can think of about trying to 'induce' labour are known to be safe though?
and are mostly done on a bit of a whim/fun.
e.g .birthing ball, clary sage oil (totally safe), currys (safe), sex (safe) etc etc etc.
If someone said to me ''take this hardcore drug that you cant get in the uk that induces labour' then id say no thankyou! but things that are safe and wont do any harm i dont see the problem with.

Last edited:
hello.

I would never take anything to purposely start labour although from 36w i would try the old wives tales e.g lots of walking, sex, spicy food, pineapple etc

I'm gonna try do cartwheels n backflips cos I want him out.
I'm just really curious. So ima watch this thread grow

I'm gonna try do cartwheels n backflips cos I want him out.
I'm just really curious. So ima watch this thread grow

are you really?
Or am i being mega dumb and cant tell if thats sarcasm or not.... lol

I agree with lily - I would never take any kind of drug but I am happy To take evening primrose oil & raspberry leaf tea as they are good for you pregnant or not! I always eat pineapple anyway like every day have done the whole way through my pregnancy! Sex - well I wouldn't be posting now if I didn't do that and I like curry! I put clary sage oil in my bath cos it's nice and relaxing! Nothing wrong with any of that

Looool I can't even raise my leg to get my groove on Looool
I'm jus being a nutter.
Lool

LOL lealea! I was thinking 'flipping hell, id like to see you try and do a backflip 8 months preggo!!'' lol!

Emma_85 I knownypurs think that inserting epo capsules inside you is unsafe but I don't see how it is different to perrienal massage which is most certainly Recommended by midwives and doctors?!?

Ok, but im really not sure that poking capsules up your vagina is hygenic or safe at all tbh.

A friend of mine ate the recommended 8 pineapples and ended up in hospital with chronic stomach cramps and a distressed baby. I just think SOME not all theories have risks that people do not seem to consider because they are so focused on inducing labour. It seems very silly to me tbh...

This thread is not meant to criticize anyone - I'm merely just wanting to state FACTs that I have read and been told about inducing labour - is it really such a good idea.

At the end of the day, your baby can NOT stay in there forever - he/she will come out when they are good and ready!

but people havent said they go to the extreames of 8 pineapples etc as i even think thats a bit ot, wouldnt even have the stamina to eat that many/couldnt be bothered too!
but i still dont see how putting a non harmful capsule up your foof that all it is is oil is any more unsafe than having a willy up there that has god knows what germs on it bashing against your cervix...

Last edited:
I dont think i believe in any of it, it just happens when it happens, its nature!!! Although ask me again in a few weeks time, or if i go over due then i may be desperate enough and be willing try anything, but i wont be putting capsules up my hairy fairy mary lolxxxxxx

Emma_85 I knownypurs think that inserting epo capsules inside you is unsafe but I don't see how it is different to perrienal massage which is most certainly Recommended by midwives and doctors?!?

It isn't used to induce labour hun -

"The intention is to attempt to prevent tearing of the perineum during birth, the need for an episiotomy or an instrument (forceps or vacuum extraction) delivery."

:)

Ofcourse babies will come when they are ready but there is no harm is any of things we are doing what so ever!

Like I said perrienal massage is highly recommended and you can use any oil to do that so inserting epo capsules is no different lots of women on here do it and none of them have ever been I'll because of this!

Really it's not different to using lubes and stuff during sex that's not harmful and there oil based lubes!!

"The intention is to attempt to prevent tearing of the perineum during birth, the need for an episiotomy or an instrument (forceps or vacuum extraction) delivery."

I know exactly what is thanks - bit you use oil for it so how is that different to putting an oil capsule in the same place! No one isnsaying they stick the capsule inside their cervix are they!

but people havent said they go to the extreames of 8 pineapples etc as i even think thats a bit ot, wouldnt even have the stamina to eat that many/couldnt be bothered too!
but i still dont see how putting a non harmful capsule up your foof that all it is is oil is any more unsafe than having a willy up there that has god knows what germs on it bashing against your cervix...

Have you actually researched the pros and cons of putting a capsule up their hun, or have you just heard someone tell you it works as a theory and you are trying it out?

I'm just thinking of you! x

I don't get the capsule insertion thing. It reminds me of that blonde joke where she said "I've been taking the contraceptive pill.. But it just keeps falling out" lol.

I know exactly what is thanks - bit you use oil for it so how is that different to putting an oil capsule in the same place! No one isnsaying they stick the capsule inside their cervix are they!

Actually, YES they are!

If you know exactly what it is, why use it as an example of induction, when perineum massage isn't at all an induction method! You aren't making sense woman! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back