your help appreciated

pips

Reaction score
I'm writing an essay for uni on baby collic and its various remedies. For that i need specific and abundant documentation. I have books on aromatherapy and massages but i need info on gripe water and homeopathy.

have any of you used gripe water? and do you know of any sites concerning that and that are not advertising a brand? or possibly sites on homeopathy?

replies very much appreciated as am rather stuck :wall:
*grrr don't want to study!*

pip xxx

i dont like gripe water, i heard that it gives baby more wind to then make them burp, like if we have wind we will have a glass of fizzy pop to make us burp gripe water does same thing for baby... well thats what i heard dont no if its true. but i found it made Dior worse

thanks dionne! i've heard that as well. i just wonder why it's still so popular then :think:

and did you use anything else to help Dior then?

nope i tryed infacol but made her have a upset tummy.

so i found laying her across my knees on her belly and rubbing her back then when i slowly lifted her up, she would burp.

midwife also told me to stopgiving her a dummy as it can cause wind :think: when they suck on it they some times swallow air

glad for you you found something in the end!

i'll quote you (not personally) in my essay :dance:
cheers hun

infacol helped eva, she has only had colic at one time. i gave her infacol for a few weeks and she hasnt needed it since.

hey i dont know anywebsites concerning it but wen B had a bit of wind the HV advised me gripe water but it didnt touch B :wall:
infacol was alot better tho

i swear by gripe water worked with both of mine :dance:
not only is it great for bringing up wind it also instantly stops hiccups :lol:

thanks for your replies! i've read through these links and i think i will manage to get a fair amount out of it

i thought i was making life easier for myself by choosing colic as a topic(though zoe¨never had it), wow how wrong i was!!! :shock: :oops:

Gripe water has been taken off the market here for years due to the fact that it contains gin :shock: But my mum used to swear by the stuff.

Other than that, Naomi doesn't have colic but as a teenager I babysat a child with colic from the time he was 3 months old till he was 4 or 5. He used to scream the place down and the only thing that would quiet him would be carrying him face down, resting on your arm...the famous "colic carry". His tummy rests on your forearm, his legs either side, and his face rests on your hand. He would often fall asleep that way, which was a pity because he was a heavy little scamp :lol:

Hope that's a help!

Sue

sue thats fantastic info! thanks so much
i cant believe there is gin in gripe water! ok they say a bit alcohol will put the bairn to sleep but surely thats a bit extreme
xx

It used to have alcohol in it years ago...not gin though that I know of!...apparently Gin mixed with Gripe water is quite a popular drink though (!)

my mistake. gripe water, you said it worked well :)

Oh well that wa sthe obvious thing, I just didn;t know if you were asking where I got the links from.
I got mine in tesco...We only ever gave Brody about 3 mils, the full dose made him puke!

Hi Pips

I think Olivia had mild colic. She hated Gripe Water and infacol was too much of a faff to do so I tried homeopathic Colocynthis Granules as recommended by a paediatric nurse at the Queen Mums hospital in Glasgow. Around the time I started giving them to Olivia I also started a baby massage class where we were shown how to do "the colic massage" so I'm not sure if it was one or both of these that helped Olivia but the colic went.

HTH

Lucy

finished my essay!!!!!!!!!

thanks to you who answered, it was really helpful. i just hope now i've made a good enough use of it to get a good grade.

and poor you who had babies with colic, having read so much about it it sounds very stressful and depressing. well done :clap:

pip xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back