Wrong time of night

mandspice

Reaction score
Dexter goes 6 hours between feeds from 6pm til midnight but then wakes at 3am and 6am....any tips on shifting his longer sleep period much appreciated! We put him to bed around 7-8 - should we keep him up later? Thanks x

He is still very young and I think its just a case of giving him time and catching up on sleep while he sleeps if you can.

I'd not be inclined to start trying to keep him up as all you'll get is a tired miserable baby. And you'll want his sleep time to get earlier as he gets older, not later so I'd say stick with him going to bed then if he is tired.

You could try a dreamfeed around 11pm is the only thing I can suggest. I used to dreamfeed LO on occasion but tbh I think it used to make him more hungry and he'd still wake a few times in the night. But then he is breastfed and thay digest quicker. By about 12 weeks is when you can expect baby to be able to sleep thorugh without possibly needing a feed at some point. Many formula fed babies sleep through sooner, but not all.

I started cluster feeding around 14 weeks and he's been brilliant at sleeping ever since. The odd night when he wakes at 4am or so but mostly goes through from 8pm to 6am. It can work but its not for all babies. Some just won't do it. And it takes a little while to get baby to adjust to taking in the extra ounces. Maybe more so with formula fed babies as its thicker and more filling than breastmilk. And takes longer to digest.

Also don't forget the growth spurt stages. One around 7 weeks or so might mean he is waking hungry in the night.

You could also try to not feed him and give him a chance to settle himself again, maybe turn the mobile on or whatever you do that settles him. Make feeding a last resort not a first one.

Calum can do this too! When i know the answer i'll let you know :)

We're going to wake him at 9 tonight and feed him then, then again at 12....that long stretch makes him hungrier during the night so hopefully this will compensate - will let you know how it goes! x

Good Luck, i tried that with Calum but it doesnt work for us! :(

good luck hope it works :D Does he sleep near to bedtime? Maybe hes not so tired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back