• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would like help on feeding & sleeping

Jollypops

Reaction score
Sorry to ask yet again but sitting here today i'm getting really confused :?
To make this easy for me to understand and also to get the answers simply could you answer the following:

How many fluid oz should a 3month old baby have in 24hrs?

How many feeds what that be 4/5/6?

Do you/did you feed a 3 month old in the night?

Sorry if these seem silly questions to ask but i keep reading people saying "oh my little ones i bed by 8pm, sleeps through, blah, blah, blah" and to me this seems to early to have such a set schedule, am i doing something wrong?

Calum feeds every 4 hours, 4floz and at night sometimes if cuddled will sleep an extra hour or two and then hungry when wakes, so then doesnt want it 4hours later than the last feed but goes back to the same time he usually does.

I really feel today like i'm doing things wrong and dont no why really. Calum seems content so why am i'm worrying :wall:

(Hope you can understand what i'm getting at)

Babies - A very, very rough average, apparantly have 2.5oz of milk to every pound of weight. I dont know how heavy your LO is, but I see he was Prem, so, sounds like that could be a good amount hes scoffing!!

At 3 months, my LO was having 4oz every 3 hours, would go to bed about 8pm, wake around 4am for food, straight back to sleep til about half 7am. He had 6 feeds - although there were no feeds between 8pm and 4am, because he fed 3 hourly, he fitted another bottle in the day. 5-6Bottles would be normal, usually only drops to 4 when weaning starts.

Dont feel silly!! :hug: Best to ask... thats how I did/do it anyways, everyones different, and every LO is different!!

Ok so if i'm getting this right Calum was 7lb 6oz last week so say 7lb at 2.5oz is 17.5oz needed a day (or is it 2.5 per lbs per feed? :? ) based on the first (17.5oz) per day then Calum is way over having 24fl oz a day!

So if i try tonight giving him his last feed at 9.30pm as this is his normal feed then try not to feed him through the night, just cuddle if needed, the 4oz missed from the 1.30 and possibly 5.30 feed need to be added to the other feeds in the day?

So yes, going on that very rough guide he is eating very well!

You may well find that if these feeds are dropped LO naturally up's the daily intake... At that weight, he is nowhere near being at the weight they say babies can sleep through. If he is hungy I would feed him... I have never delt with or had much interaction with a prem baby, I know their needs can be different, and you should treat them according to their corrected age.

I wouldnt like to advise anything hun... just because I dont know. Your HV would be the best person to ask... (If he is happy to go without ONE of these night feeds, then, no harm done im sure, and I also think he would up his intake of milk in the day if he missed one feed at night).

What is his corrected age?! Something like a month old? Because at that age, babies are in no routine at all, and should be fed when they want etc.

His corrected age would be 2 days old! :D

What weight do they say for sleeping through?

Looks like i might be getting ahead of myself then!

Awww, bless him!! Yes, I think you are getting abit ahead!! but to be fair, I would be exactly the same... as when my DS what 2.5 months old as yours is, he was going a good 8 hours at night, then back down after food for another few hours etc, I dont think I coudl have coped for much longer with all the wakings!

I believe its about 12lb's but if you look around on the internet, you will find the weight knocking about on a few sites.

So technically hes a brand new baby, hes feeding alot for his age!! Thats fantastic, and will mean that he will fill up, so be able to go longer periods at night... just becareful droping any of the milk, as newborns need to feed as offten as possible, and the sooner your DS puts on weight then sooner he will be capable of going thru the night (Note I say 'capable' as not all babys do, although technically they could, lol)

12lb OMG! :shock: Its gona be ages! lol
Oh well i dont think it will be that long to be honest as he puts on average 10oz on week!
The HV told us last week to not change his bum in the night so i dont now but it means i've been sitting on the sofa waiting for the kettle and we've both fallen alseep for his 5.30 feed and hasnt had it till daddys woken us at 6.30am :shock: , but he doesnt mind so i'll just keep going as i am then :D Its not that bad i suppose.
Thanks

Its bloody hard work hun!! Your doing well... xxx

I see no reason you cant try and extend the periods of sleep during the night. *Controversial* baby whisperer suggests using a dummy for a few mins in babys mouth when they wake in the night for food. But honestly a new baby should only really go a max of 6 hours between feeds... no reason you cant try and get that to 10pm til 4am then 4am till 7(or later if your lucky!)

By 2.5 months babys are capable of distinguishing between day and night, I know he was early, but id assume that still kind of stands... meaning he should sleep more in the night than during the day!

Any questions of wanna chat just drop me a PM hun xxxxx

Well last night was abit of a surprise as Calum slept through the night without any problems :cheer: :cheer:
He fed at 10.30 and placed him in the crib, i woke at just gone 2.30 when he normally has a feed and although he had a little wriggle he didnt open his eyes and settled so i sat up near the crib for the next hour to see if he would wake :doh: in the end i went back to bed and woke with his movements again at 5am again no open eyes so just put my hand on him and he settled again and woke after Pauls alarm went off at 6.30am :D
Dont think it will last but god it feels so nice, if he does manage it again tonight i could get 6 hours :sleep: oh how nice that will be.

Haha!! Whos a good boy!! :)

Id be very happy with that. Well Fone Calum.

Go to bed when he does tonight, and hope he does the same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back