Worried about next midwife appointment.

NIE

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering what I should expect from my second appointment with my midwife.

Will she feel my tummy and take my blood pressure again etc.

I am also worried about the next set of blood tests incase they show that there is a high chance something is wrong with baby and I then need to have an amnio. I Think the waiting for the results with be a nightmare. xx

I'm not sure what to expect from the second appointment cos I've only had one so far.

Try not to worry too much about the tests though, and trust me, if you do decide to go for an amnio (which is probably unlikely) it's not as bad as you would imagine. I've had two now.

As I said in a previous post, the tests themselves aren't as bad as the wait for the results.

Best of luck :hug:

I have worried about every single midwife appointment to date!! I still do and I'm now seeing her every 2 weeks instead of every 4 - I get myself so worked up about them, nervous/sore tummy etc - crazy really. I'm just so scared something will be wrong with my precious little baby I suppose - although I've had a text book perfect pregnancy to date.

Are you talking about the 20 week appointment? Mine was pretty basic I have to say, blood pressure, tested the urine sample for protine, listened with the doppler to the baby and asked if I had any questions which she duely answered.

That honestly was it, nothing more, nothing less. I then had my scan at 21 weeks and saw it as another opportunity to ask questions etc - of course I got myself in terrible knots before the scan as they can then tell if anything isn't there, i.e. he'll be born with one leg or no liver or something - worried myself sick before that but thankfully all was ok. Again it was just the scan and I was allowed to leave once they had printed out the measurements for my folder/notes.

I had my 2nd set of bloods taken at 28 weeks - nothing to worry about what so ever, most of the time everything is fine with them they are more just to be certain all is going well and your not suffering from anemia or early signs of gestational diabetes etc.

The appointments tend to vary from area to area but generally speaking untill you are a little further on in your pregnancy there isn't too much they can do I don't suppose, they didn't even mention antenatal till my 24 week check and even then they said to think about it and we'd book in at the 28 week appointment if I wanted etc. So don't fret too much, they are pretty standard appointments.

I will be almost 17 weeks which is supposed to be the best time for the AFP test.

Just noticed that I will have another blood test at 28 weeks and Anti D if required..........What is Anti D?

Everytime you go to the midwife she will take your blood pressure, check urine, feel your tummy, check to hear the heart beat (if your far enough)

You will have blood taken at book in and then some takenat about 16 weeks. You have another blood work done when your a bit further on but I cant remember when it is.

When you get to about 26-28 weeks she will start messuring the fundal fight. when you get closer she will be checking to see how deep the babys head is in the pelvis. Its measured in 5th 5/5 being free to 0/5 totally engaged.

Hope this helps.

:hug: I think it's great your getting to see your Midwife... and your going to get good regular checks.... :cheer:
I got my bloods done at my booking appointment, I was told because of my age..(36) I would automatically be at higher risk for downs etc... BUT i got the results through the post telling me i was at LOW RISK and no further action was recommended.... :cheer: :dance: :clap: So try not to worry.. just enjoy the attention
My booking Appointment was 4th May and my next Appointment isn't Ment to be until 17th July, but i now have complications...so i NEED to see her or OB soon ! ! ! ... ... :hug: Lv Yvonne xx

Not everyone has the anti-d injections it depends on your blood grouping. If you are a negative group you'll have it, if your positive you won't.

fynemum said:
:hug: I think it's great your getting to see your Midwife... and your going to get good regular checks.... :cheer:
I got my bloods done at my booking appointment, I was told because of my age..(36) I would automatically be at higher risk for downs etc... BUT i got the results through the post telling me i was at LOW RISK and no further action was recommended.... :cheer: :dance: :clap: So try not to worry.. just enjoy the attention
My booking Appointment was 4th May and my next Appointment isn't Ment to be until 17th July, but i now have complications...so i NEED to see her or OB soon ! ! ! ... ... :hug: Lv Yvonne xx

I know I've just had my downs test results, it was such a relief to learn I am low risk, as my OH has so many genetic disorders in his family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back