worried about AJs weight gain

leannesxb

Reaction score
Had AJ weighed today and in 10 days he has only put on 5ozs. He still only weighs 8lb 11ozs and I am getting really concerned over his really slow weight gain. He still only has 3-4ozs of milk every 4 hours including through the night and shows no interest in taking any more. Other babies who are younger than him who weighed around the same are now taking over him. He seems slow to do most things and still acts like a newborn just feeding and sleeping in my arms through the day. he shows no interest in toys, screams during baths, tummy time and when he is put down in the moses basket. I'm becoming very very concerned now:cry:

:hug: oh chick don't worry, he's just a boy! He's taking his time that's all. Albert sounds like I'm murdering him if I put him on his tummy and shows his disgust by lying face down and trying to smother himself, I haven't dare bath him yet cos I think the poor little mite would faint with the panic of being naked for that long.

Have you spoken to your HV or gp about your worries? You have my number if you need me love xxxxxxx

gonna attend a baby group next week which is run by a nursery nurse. My hv has convinced me to go. I'm gonna speak to her about it. Just feel like the down side of this forum is occasionally I read things and feel sad that my baby doesn't do all the things other babies do. AJ hates being naked too. He screams the place down when you put him down, change him, undress him, play with him, bath him, have tummy time and he still doesn't smile properly. Its getting me down that alot of the time I think its my fault for getting him in to bad habits cos he won't sleep unless in my arms he won't nap properly meaning hes always tired and grumpy. If I put him down he screams and screams and just won't take more food to help him grow.

Awww... Not all babies gain weight so quickly - what did the HV say? Emily is not at all the textbook baby... She still feeds every two hours and never takes more than 3-4 oz. She doesn't sleep that great, and her head and neck control is quite poor. Probably my fault cos we rarely do tummy time as she hates it so much and just screams! Try not to worry - but do speak to your HV if you want some reassurance.

I bet you'll find there's lots of babies at the group that are just the same and worse! My HV was really sweet on our first meeting and told me never to worry about guidelines and averages of when Albert should be doing stuff. She said you only need to worry this young if it's a physical thing (like not following things with his eyes etc) and not to get hung up on developmental stuff. All babies are different and they all catch up eventually.

You've both had a rough start hun and your nerves have been very raw for a very long time even before you gave birth and you can't beat yourself up over things that you have no control over. How many parents would just leave AJ to cry? Or have him permanently smacked out of his head on calpol? You could not have done more for your boy to get him to his weight and with everything he's been through I think any weight gain has been nothing short of a bloody miracle!

I think I have made excuses for such a longtime over things eg. colic, early baby, little baby that I have let him get away with a lot and now I feel like I have got him in to bad routinues. I am terrible with his feeds cos I allow him to give up at around 3 1/2 ozs cos of the wind issues. He makes terrible noises when feeding that no one else inc hv or gps seems worried about but to me sound like hes in pain. He grunts and groans and sounds like he is going to be sick and cos we have had incidences with him being sick feeding on top of trapped wind that I am becoming paranoid. He never seems hungry and is just so bloody grumpy and whingy all the time.

Have you tried winding him across your lap? I'm pretty sure with your arthritis winding must get bloody painful and although he doesn't like tummy time the shape of your legs might help. If Bertie has trapped wind I do this and rub his back, because he can relax his head to the side and doesn't feel under pressure to perform push ups he doesn't mind it

:( sorry to hear you're feeling worried

I never put max down when he's awake otherwise he would cry too! He always falls asleep in my arms and if that's wrong then oh well its our way of doing things. He still hates his nappy being changed and his clothes being changed too!!

All babies are so different please don't feel bad when you compare him to others, give it a month and he might end up developing faster than other babies as they all go through stages. Max has just been taking 2-4oz of milk every 2-3 hours and I'm taking him to get weighed saturday as I would have thought he'd be eating more but I'm not too worried just putting it down to him going through a bit of a fussy stage.

Always here if you wanna chat just PM me xxx

Have you tried winding him across your lap? I'm pretty sure with your arthritis winding must get bloody painful and although he doesn't like tummy time the shape of your legs might help. If Bertie has trapped wind I do this and rub his back, because he can relax his head to the side and doesn't feel under pressure to perform push ups he doesn't mind it

Thats one of the things that gets me down is how painful the winding is for me. My arms get so painful they start to go numb. I have done it a few times but he has always kicked off when I have done it but will try perservering. x

Henry only put on 5oz in 16 days last time. Gettin him weighed tomorrow and hope he has put loads on as in worried they will tell me to top him up with formula. I don't wanna do that but will if I have to if I can get him to take a bottle which hasnt been successful yet.

Hannah sounds like we are killing her when we get her out the bath! Honestly you would think she would know by now it all ends well! So don't worry about baths and screaming babies! X

Alyssa screams murder at bathtime, and when getting changed, and now when i try to bottle feed her. im currently having to trick her by feeding her in bf position cos i just dont make enough yet shes recently decided she wants to be ebf! shes obviously hungry and i let her latch as much as possible but its horrible having her scream at a bottle when you know shes hungry

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back