working tax credit - working just 3 days a week?

hayley

Reaction score
does anyone know how working tax credit works? If i was to cut my work down to 3 days from 5 would i be entitled to working tax credit? My hourly rate wouldn't reduce but i'd be doing less hours so picking up less pay. I'm not entitled to it now. I've just logged onto the gov web site and put in my details as if i was on part time wages and it said i'd get £469 a month... is this just for the first year or for as long as i'm earning part time wages?

I have no idea how this works... i'm hoping i filled the form out right.. if so i'd only be loosing £100 a month by working 2 days less but claiming tax credit. When i work out nursery fees, petrol etc i wouldn't have to pay then i'd be better off which sounds too good to be true!

H x[/code]

Sorry I don't know how it works but I phoned them and gave them a couple of scenarios and they were really helpful - they told me how much I would get for each of them. I'm also reducing my hours so from 37 hours to 31.5 hours I'll be £1000 better off a year with benefits, but if I earned an extra £1000 in wages I'd be much worse off. It's mad!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It doesnt pay for me to work full time, and it looks like you will be the same.

thanks for your replies.. i worked out i get paid £90 a day before tax etc.. so i probably come home with around £75 a day. If i had 2 children i'd be paying for nursery at £31 and wrap around care for jacob at £24 a day which is £55 a day. Add petrol on top of that £8.00 a day (i work miles from home) I'd bet working for £12 a day... why do the goverment make it so hard to be a working mum... i think i'm on pretty good wages but it's still not enough!

h x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back