Working Tax Credit during Maternity leave

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was told today that you can claim working tax credit whilst on maternity leave. I didnt realise this.. i thought you would have to be back at work to claim it. Can you claim before the baby is actually born??

I know theres not a lot i can claim for as both myself and my partner are working but im going into the citizens advice bureau to go thorugh it all face to face. I get all confused over the phone as to when you can claim for things and what you can claim for.

Ive also only recently heard about the keep in touch days..

Claire x

Depending on what you're earning now you maybe entitled to it already. But just call them and tell them what you're on nd will be on and they'll work out over the phone what you're entitled to then send out the form. Being on maternity leave means you're technically classed as working, just on lower wage.

You have to initially apply using the last tax years income detials and then when you receive your award, if you work out what you will earn for this tax year and call them and let them know they will amend your award. That's what I did and my award went from £80 a month to £300 a month!

bunnymom1980 said:
You have to initially apply using the last tax years income detials and then when you receive your award, if you work out what you will earn for this tax year and call them and let them know they will amend your award. That's what I did and my award went from £80 a month to £300 a month!

This is what confuses me.. Whats the award? I knew they worked it out on last years earnings but i dont undertand why when i will only be on SMP. How long does it take to change and get what you should be getting?

nori said:
bunnymom1980 said:

This is what confuses me.. Whats the award? I knew they worked it out on last years earnings but i dont undertand why when i will only be on SMP. How long does it take to change and get what you should be getting?

I originally applied in July for an award based on last tax years income. 2 weeks later I had money backdated to April paid straight into my account. I then phoned them on 11th Aug with this years pay info and my amended amount went in my bank today!

When i called them they asked for last years wages, and immediately after i made sure they knew i was on maternity and that my pay was halved. They sorted it instantly. Make sure you requested back pay straight away though! They ripped me off with mine!

Oh ok.. well I leave work on 17th October and my maternity pay then starts two weeks after that (90%) for 6 weeks. I then go onto SMP. SO... would i fill out the forms and claim when i go onto SMP or can i fill them out before so they have them there and then ring them when im on SMP?

Also.. ive decided to add my holiday onto my maternity next year so that will be 14 weeks full pay until i hopefully go onto part time pay. Will i have to tell them about that too?

I have an appointment with CAB next week.. lol.. im useless with all this!

Claire x

nori said:
Oh ok.. well I leave work on 17th October and my maternity pay then starts two weeks after that (90%) for 6 weeks. I then go onto SMP. SO... would i fill out the forms and claim when i go onto SMP or can i fill them out before so they have them there and then ring them when im on SMP?

Also.. ive decided to add my holiday onto my maternity next year so that will be 14 weeks full pay until i hopefully go onto part time pay. Will i have to tell them about that too?

I have an appointment with CAB next week.. lol.. im useless with all this!

Claire x

You can let them know now if you do your sums and work out what your total annual pay will be this tax year. They spread the amount they award you over the whole year, if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back