Working right up till birth - am I going to cope?!!

helsbels

Reaction score
Hey all
I never seem to have the time to come on here and when I do I see soo many have popped so congratulations to you!! :clap:

I just answered a similar question in 2nd tri and wondered what you guys thought; I am getting a bit concerned that I am going to struggle at work as I am working until 5 days before I am due :shock: Tis because I have not been at my company long enough to get maternity pay (only maternity allowance) and want use any time off after the baby is born as I will probably be only able to afford 4 months max off :(

I am on my feet a fair amount at work and its physically quite tiring occasionally, do you think I am going to cope OK? I know you don't know me personally so its difficult to answer but I guess I need a bit of a cheerleading squad saying YES you'll be fine! Hey I am an ostrich with my head firmly buried in the sand! How long before your due dates are you having off? Do you have any tips/ experiences?

Hope everyone is welll, sending lots of labour dust to those due or overdue :hug:
Many thanks for any advice
xxxxx

I plan to work right up to my due date with the proviso I can change my mind at any time and leave as soon as I want. I have done this as I know I will wallow in self pity if left on my own at home for any length of time.

TBH each pregnancy is different, my last I had to stop work as I looked after dangerous clients and was at risk but could have easily gone until the birth working, this time Im not so sure.

Have you spoken to your employers about how they can make it more comfortable eg provide you with more breaks, more sit down time or a stool to rest your legs, I actually find being sat down makes me worse ATM.

Anyway we can be cheerleading buddies so... GO YOU working to full term rules!!!

It all depends on the individual. I would have like to have worked for longer but developed SPD so was physically unable to and was signed off sick. I would just assume you are then take it week by week.

*You can do it!*
*You can do it!*
*You can do it!*

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Bit of cheerleading support there! lol

Personally, (hate to p*ss on your fireworks), but I couldn't do it... A) I'm shattered constantly, B) I have lost all motivation at work and C) I suffer with SPD and couldn't be on my feet much.

BUT, like you said, we don't know you and what you're capable of, I also don't know what job you do so it's really hard to say. Every pregnancy is different and you might be able to do it without any problems what so ever!

:hug: xxx

dannii87 said:
Personally, (hate to p*ss on your fireworks), but I couldn't do it... A) I'm shattered constantly, B) I have lost all motivation at work and C) I suffer with SPD and couldn't be on my feet much.

:hug: xxx

Ditto Dannii!!

I am meant to be working until 15th (due on 21st) and like you, I am not entitled to SMP so claiming MA instead so I need to stay there to get the extra money. It is shattering but some days are better than others and thankfully they are fairly understanding.

If you are on your feet everyday, you may want to talk to them now about more time off your feet when needed.

I may just be leaving a week earlier than planned as do have some holiday owed (50hours which I will get paid for regardless as Im a temp) but going to try and make it to the end! (Though I am at a desk all day! It's just the walk to and from home that really kills it!

I won't lie to you, i can't sit here and type, yeah girl you can do it go go go!! Because im not experiencing your pregnancy and really only you can answer this question...

I can see your point with regards to money/time off etc, but i think you need to be realistic too, ie if you are leaving work just to sort bits out ie nursery, clothes etc, not really worth it, plus you WILL get bored. However as the others said be weary on your physical state, how tired are you, can you honestly force yourself to work through back ache or pain, tireness these are the things to just take into account. but just see how you feel! but at the same time don't overdo it.

Im going to be doing it too. :D

Because really I dont know what I would do with myself on Mat leave and I have only just started working there when I found out I was pregnant and I would feel so guilty just leaving my boss in the poo.

I work in a fairly quiet flower shop my boss is very very aware of me lifting heavy things but theres only to a point I do find it hard picking the trays of plants up so towards the end I will have to ask her to either put them out on buckets so I can reach to get them or get her to bring them in for me before she leaves. The only other real thing is very heavey buckets of water which can be a bit difficult.

Other than that the thing I find hardest is the 2mile walk from the shop to my car! Haha but I quite like it at the same time makes me feel all healthy for doing it because at least I know I am getting some kind of exercise.

Your job is not allowed to put you in any risk at all when you are pregnant if you dont feel you can do something then say so they cant refuse you and they cant make you do something that will put you or your baby at harm. I would also warn to them that you want to work till your due BUT if you feel you cant then you will need them to understand and support that choice xxx

I worked until 9pm on the 4th March, and had Thomas at 10.39am on the 5th March :cheer:

I felt fine, and had an OK job doing light duties, so it was fine for me!

As the others have said, it's difficult to say - you may have a dream pregnancy and feel full of energy until your due date but do be prepared that you may find it hard towards the end, especially if your job involves a lot of standing / walking and can be physically tiring. I finished at 34 weeks as I had a lot of holiday to use up and was glad to finish by then - however, I could easily still sit at my desk and do a days' work now, it was just the commuting 2 hours a day which killed me!

The main thing is that you and baby are well and if you start to find it hard work I'm sure your employers will understand and be flexible on dates for you :hug:

Thanks you guys for all the replies :hug: I guess the takehome message is to listen to my body and not do anything stupid or push myself too hard. If it comes to it and I can't cope then I will not carry on regardless, would not want to put LO or me at risk. I will be realistic, I realise now I have to be and I have to be prepared I may not make it to the end.
Luckily I don't have a big commute, just 20mins in the car and I can sit down regularly if I want and I have a lovely boss so I have that in my favour.

For those cheerleading messages - :hug: :hug: and those of you who have to work right till the end too I hope we can get there :pray:
Thanks again :hug: xxxxx

Hey hun,

I gave birth one sunday, the day BEFORE my maternity leave started!! But he was early coming at 37 weeks. Naughty boy!

Yeh you can do it hun, it was tiring but everyone does make allowances for you, and you are entitled to extra breaks and stuff xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back