Working and help with childcare

Rosieroo

Reaction score
I've just had a look on the HM rev and benefits site to see how much help we would get towards childcare if I worked 20 hours a week.

According to them they would increase my child tax credit from £12 odd to £21 odd but I wouldn't get anything else.

Say I got £5.50 an hour (wages aren't great down here) and worked 20 hours a week, that's £110. If my childcare cost approx £80 a week, then I'd be left with £30 before tax and NI and the extra £9 tax credits. So my hourly earnings would be under £1.95 an hour :(

Surely this is no incentive to work - I thought the government were trying to get mums back into working????????

The reason I am looking is because things are getting increasingly tight, we'll be OD again this month and I have no savings left to stop it from happening this time.

they take your oh earnings in to consideration too..

for eg. when me and kris split up i was earning 11,000 a yr and getting £90 a week tax credits with out a childminder, when i got a child minder she was £70 a week tax credits gave me £50 a week towards it so that took my credits up to £120 a week.

but once kris was working it all got stopped as we both earn to much to be intitled to it!!

I always thought that with the way that they went on about it they basically paid for your childcare!!

i work 16 hours a week
get £500 and summit tax credits
and Braydon is in nursery one day a week whic hcosts £40 a weelk but the gov pays 70% of it

Yeah they can either pay a registered childminder or pay the nursery for you...70% of it anyway :)

I work at a nursery and i worked it out as with my 30% nursery fee discount for working there the nursery will still cost £37 a day and i also worked out that i get paid £39.44 a day..sooo after nursery fees come out i will be getting paid a whopping £2.44 a day!!!! :rotfl: shocking :shock: 25p an hour..id get more money selling big issue :(

Well I was shocked! Kept rechecking the figures as I was sure I was going wrong somewhere :lol: Back to the drawing board I guess :D

That's absolute pants I can't believe that!

Its crap isn't it, I too thought they were meant to make it easier to return to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back