Work Rant grrrrr

rachyryan

Reaction score
So upset with work just now, any radiographers your advice would be appreciated! I am a radiology nurse and part of my role is to scrub for procedures, this involves wearing a lead coat that weighs a tonne and can be on my feet for hours scrubbed. Since announcing my pregnancy I havn't really scrubbed but recently as the other nurse i work with has bad back problems and i am tri 2 i have scrubbed a few times.

This week the nurse i work with is away on hols and then leaves for a new job next week, i scrubbed for a procedure and basically was on my feet in a lead coat for 3 hours no break, no seat no toilet nothing from 9 till half 2 (3 hours in lead). I was so angry i phoned my union and typed of a big email to the bosses. They have no intentions of replacing my colleague leaving me the only nurse and i will be expected to scrub for every procedure, this is not on. Anyway i got a reply today saying the are considering moving me to a more appropriate clinical role. Why should i move department, there are plenty other thigs that i can and am happy to do i just need a nurse who can scrub and i can do the monitoring etc. I feel i am being punished for sticking up for myself and pointing out that they are not even attempting to stcik to the risk assessment that was put in place. What do i do?

Sorry about the long rant but need to vent! On the plus side i am now on annual leave for 2 weeks and off to Spain on sunday for 2 weeks so by the time i come back who knows where i will be working.

Have u had a risk assessment? They should atleast provide a chair for u! Do u work with sources? Maybe worth talking to medical physics about an alternative to lead coat!

Yeah they did a risk assessment but basically it's being totally ignored, the place is so short staffed and the pressure to get the job done is unbearable. I can sit down when i am monitoring the patients, during procedures but when scrubbed i'm sterile and have to hold wires, balloons etc it's not possible, basically i told them i'm not scrubbing anymore and they will need to find someone else to do it. Not being a radiographer what are sources and what alternatives are there to a lead coat other than standing behind the lead screen?

It is like the radioactive part. I dot know If there are alternatives but medial physics will be able to tell u x

Thanks MrsMc, i work up close to the tube if that makes sense when scrubbed. i have no issue with wearing the lead coat if i can sit down every now and again, but due to staffing this is impossible and when scrubbed i dont have a seat. i have only been there a year so it's all new to me, i really like my job and dont want to be moved when i feel that on the most part i can do the job safely if i get another nurse to help me.

I'd ask physics to do some measurements as to what dose u would get to tum without leadcoat etc get them to look into different alternatives

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back