Winter Toddler Fun- help!

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

aargh! :wall:

Sorry to scream but that feels better already! My stumbling first-steps baby has transformed almost overnight into a running, climbing, door slamming, crazy full of energy toddler! It's delightful in some ways but he's running me ragged because although he seems to understand "no" none of the things that you can do to inforce that seem to work yet. I've managed to get some things as kind of off limits- he now touches the gas taps but won't turn them on and leaves them when I say (but always touches them to test) but not all. I've got a Victorian house with no large room in it- the kitchen is tiny and is tacked onto the back of the house so if he is free-ranging I have to keep an eye on him all the time because there are plug sockets in the corridor, tiled fireplaces and leads about which we just can't do anything about. There are also lots of doors which he loves opening and closing and slamming about.

If it were summer I would just leave the house every morning and we would spend the whole day down the park no problems! Or I have thought of fun things he could do in the garden in a paddling pool or sand in a bowl etc but none of these things are winter activities. We do go to the park most afternoons anyway but it's just those odd half hours in the house that drive us both nutty! The front room is baby-proofed and there is a gate in the door so we used to just sit in there and play together but now he gets bored of being in there after about 10 mins and bangs his head against the radiator and wall in boredom and rattles the gate bars to be set free!

Any ideas? Cheap/free ideas as we are totally broke otherwise I would be spending all day in some soft play centre somewhere happy as can be!! Is he unusual or do most toddlers go through this stage? My OH is calling him "wrecking ball" as he just seems to enter any room with this incredible amount of energy going "yeah, wow, amazing" (not out loud that's kind of what he'd say if he could if you know what I mean?!) then opens all doors, drawers, yanks all things off tables, chairs, flings things about and runs out again!

I have tried things that are quieter like colouring/drawing but he hasn't got the manual skills in his hands yet for that, he likes sorting but not for very long, I read to him a lot and that does calm him down but I can't do that all the time and he wriggles after 10 minutes unless he's tired. Do things calm down once they begin to play more imaginatively? I have the time to play with him but all he wants to do is to run about and explore.

He hasn't got any kind of ride-on toy, do you think this would channel some energy in the house? I might scour the charity shops for one this afternoon.

Thanks so much, I feel like a kind of cattle herder/rugby tackler at the moment!
+++
p.s. any tips for saying "no", "gently" and "careful" at this age gladly received! When can you do time-out? I have tried it but he really doesn't get it and seems to think it's an elaborate game and that he has to do the naughty thing to carry it on if you see what I mean? I want to put some boundaries in place for his safety but don't want to be mean if he's unable to understand.

i know just what you mean - alex was like this for a bit but has calmed down a lot now.

with regard to enforcing NO we found we were saying it over and over and no effect - even though he clearly knew what it meant! we gave him three no's then put him in his cot a few mins, ( he would get in a cycle of going from one thing he wasnt meant to touch to another knowign it was wrong). this really did the trick - he either chilled out and played with his bear or he would cry but calm down and behave when we came and got him. after about a week he stopped doing it (well we still have the rare little go but he doesnt usually get to the stage where we would do timeout now!).

as for things to do in the house - have you got a little wooden trolley/walker thing. even though alex can walk he still loves pushing that round and round the house collecting stuff in it. the other thing that keeps him busy is toy cars (just cheapy little matchbox ones inhertited from grown up family members!).

cant think of anything else really other than sticking reins on him and going for a walk - slow going but it really wares them out! i tend to take our puchchair too then it doesnt matter if he gets tired!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Em78, glad I'm not alone! We haven't got a wooden trolley but I don't know whether to get one now especially for walking round the streets with to give him a focus. Hmm. I'd get him a doll's pushchair but I don't know if he's perhaps a bit short still for them and might lean forwards and go splat! We have gone for small walks today but he tends to want to feel every parked car there is and I'm dreading an alarm going off! At least it's sunny today and we could go out though!

+++

sorry, I've no tips, we haven't got to this stage YET, but just wanted to send a big :hug:

i put Braydons wellies on take him for a nice long walk then he is ready for bed hehe

Hi

Isaac has toys in the living room, the kitchen his bedroom and the conservatory. When I tidy them all away each night once he is in bed I alternate which ones he has in each room. This seems to keep him happy and gives him some variety to his day because we go into eachroom as I do my housework and he comes with me. If he gets really fed up I let him play with the 'not really supposed to have' toys ie my saucepans, wooden spoons, sieve, bottle brush and any other bits and bobs I have in my kitchen drawers he cant hurt himself on. I am also teaching him what and where things are so he likes me to ask where things are and he points at them. We go through clock, washing machine, fridge etc..you get the idea.

Good luck!

Lou :)

I know how you feel, I was going through the same a few months ago!! It does eventually go away :dance:
What about giving him a few plastic bowls and some pasta to play with...Rhys loves it, keeps him occupied for ages!!! He pours it in and out of pots to his hearts delight! Bubbles? Messy but you could wrap up warm and do them outside?
I have definatley fopund that it doesnt matter how many toys they have, wooden spoons, pans..generally not toys keep him happy longer!
It'll soon be summer and you can spend all day in the park :cheer:

i put a snow suit on Dior wrap her up loads in her old tatty clothes and let her run riot in the garden

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back