Will I get a fine?

Moomum

Reaction score
I passed one of those mobile speed trap vans this morning. You know the ones where they stick a camera out of the back door.

I was doing about 35/36 in a 30 zone. The van was parked up, it didn't have the back doors open (although I could see a camera) and I didn't see any police or anyone else. Do you think I was clocked? Was it operational in your opinion?

No lectures on speeding please. I know I was doing wrong.

I've passed a few of those before and not been done, but I'm not sure on how they work.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :hug:

emma28 said:
I've passed a few of those before and not been done, but I'm not sure on how they work.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :hug:

:pray: :pray: :pray:

hhmm... maybe, maybe not - don't think there's any telling - you'll just have to wait a couple of weeks and see if anything comes through the post...

i'm a bit anxious at the moment cos i dropped OH off on a red route - was stopped literally 5 seconds, and not on a section of road that meant i was obstructing the flow of traffic, but i think there might be a camera there :( will be v peeved if i've been snapped...

I dont think you will be at your speed... fingers corssed for you tho!

I would think you will be OK.

The same happened to me before Christmas I was doing about 34/35 MPH and passed one of those Camera vans and I never heard anything about it.

Fingers Crossed you should be OK :pray:

should be ok if thats the most you were doing. car speedos are out, so when its saying 35 you're doing about 32... and the way speed cameras work is on a +10% basis iirc, ie, would have to be doing an actual 33-34 for it to catch you.

though i cant remember the law on the speed van having doors open etc lol

That's not a speed trap IIRC :think:

They are tax disc cameras I seem to recall. They log the registration of every car passing and match it to the database and anyone caught who doesn't have a valid car tax gets fined.

They use them on the move and parked up by the road. I remember seeing one once going down the motorway. Wasn't till you were up alongside him you saw the writing down the side saying it was capturing licence plates for tax disc evasion. We see them often round here parked up also.

I'd not worry overly if it does turn out to be a speed camera. 3 points and a fine (not sure how much they are thesedays) at the worst. Mainly depends on the margin set on the camera. They usually allow a few miles over the limit in error but thats about it.

i passed one a few months back now....i was doing 45/46 in a 40 but i got nothing through....he was in the drivers seat with a hand held camera.
I was told by my brother its 10% of the limit plus 2...so anything over 35 would catch you....
Hope you dont get caught...its so easily done tbh

Sherlock said:

They are tax disc cameras I seem to recall. They log the registration of every car passing and match it to the database and anyone caught who doesn't have a valid car tax gets fined.

They use them on the move and parked up by the road. I remember seeing one once going down the motorway. Wasn't till you were up alongside him you saw the writing down the side saying it was capturing licence plates for tax disc evasion. We see them often round here parked up also.

yeh this is what i thought also, they take your registration and computer quickly runs it through system not only for tax but for insurance, registered owner and whether it has been identified as stolen etc. if it flags you up they quickly radio toa traffic patrol car within area.ive seen them a few times whilst out and also they did a detailed viewing of one a a police programme once.

xxxxx

hmm I was caught by one of those vans, I was doing about 36mph and got the nice letter through the post. However even if you have been caught you may be offered the speed awareness course instead of the points

I always go by the 10% rule(mum constantly has a go if im driving and she is in passenger) but remember thats there just incase your speedo is out so ur backside is covered!!!

Sherlock said:

I'd not worry overly if it does turn out to be a speed camera. 3 points and a fine (not sure how much they are thesedays) at the worst. Mainly depends on the margin set on the camera. They usually allow a few miles over the limit in error but thats about it.

Hope you're right :pray: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back