• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

White Bread v's Brown Bread & Dinner Ideas Urgently Wanted

Charlie:-)

Reaction score
Well since I started weaning Maia my slimming world healthy eating plan has gone out the window.

I cant stop eating the crusts from her lovely hot buttered white bread toast :( and today I helped myself to her sandwich fingers that she didnt eat :( I just got weighed tonight and i have put on 4 1/2lb in 2 weeks just from nicking her crusts and having a nibble here and there of what im giving her.

My HV told me that she should be having white bread because she wont be able to digest lots of fibre and I think its the white bread thats my problem. I would prefer to give her brown bread and I know Sherlock gives Galen brown bread anyone else do this and has your LO been ok, no constipation??

Also what can I give Maia for dinner (posh folk might say lunch)? Im stuck for stuff that we both can have so Im not tempted to nibble hers, or anything I can cook in advance and freeze portions then get out for her as and when? Im following BLW so anything that can be picked up is what I would tend to give her.

Coops bum has been fine and i give him wholemeal bread and wholemeal pittas. For lunch he's had the wholemeal pittas filled with hummus or yesterday he had philidelphia :)

I dont know about that but i think brown bread in general is just lots healthier. :D

Personally I give brown bread. I won't eat white bread myself so can't bring myself to give it to DD very often. We definitely don't have any kind of constipation problem and never have.

For lunches, I make and freeze slices of 'baby pizza' - wholemeal pittas with tomato puree, mozzarella or other cheese, mushroom/ham/onion/pepper/etc topping. I don't think you can freeze these, but I also serve eggy bread, beans on toast (low salt/sugar ones) - she just picks the beans up (messy!), sandwiches, ricecakes and mashed avocado/homemade houmous, breadsticks and some kind of dip - just realised mine are all very bready and that's what you don't want - eeek! Hmmm - I shall put my thinking cap back on!

Valentine Xxx

Theres actually not an awful amount of difference between white breaad and brown. :) Especially in calories. The difference is the fiber... lil miss has brown cos I think white tastes bloody awful :lol: She only has constipation if I let her have bananas.. :lol: :lol:

Charlie your problem weight gain isn't because your LO is eating white bread... Its because you are making one of the biggest mummy no no's. Never eat your kids left overs. You will pile on weight regardless. :evil:

Squiglet said:
Charlie your problem weight gain isn't because your LO is eating white bread... Its because you are making one of the biggest mummy no no's. Never eat your kids left overs. You will pile on weight regardless. :evil:

I know :oops: But I have zero willpower when I see Maia having lovely things that are a no no on slimming world so it makes my life much easier if we eat the same thing. So brown bread from now on I reckon and I may have to start cooking for her lunch, which I really dont want to have to do but if it means I cook something for us both and means I still lose weight then so be it.

We all eat either multigrain or multiseed brown bread and its never been a problem. she has never been consitpated.
Re lunches, baked potato is a good one and nutrious - you can do a variety of things with it and cut it into small pieces. I also made rice cakes and potato cakes. The BLW website has some good recipes.

I tend to mix, depending on what Galen has been eating. I give White bread sometimes for toast, pittas etc brown usually. I've never had a problem with Galen. I give White pasta but brown rice.

Meal ideas - spag bol (I take out sauce and a bit of meat and mix with pasta)
Mackerel in fresh toms (trying this for first time today)
Filled pittas
Fish pie

Hmmmm I want to be more inventive but it'll have to wait till we move back home.

i was watching the doctors live on living the other day ( mmm that dr is shexehh) he said that your body recognises white bread as pure sugar and it is much better to have brown bread. im sure there is info online somewhere..we only ever have brown bread here.

How about the best of both style bread? I think the Kingsmill 50/50 isn't too bad on Slimming World...

I can see your HV logic in her recommendation, but from a nutritional point of view there is no contest.

The slight disadvantage on the fibre front is far outweighed by the goodness offered by wholegrain bread - white bread offers virtually zero goodness unless fortified (which is just stupid in my opinion lol)! All the goodness is stripped away to make it - mainly the B vitamins amongst many others. It also means more of a sugar high for your baby because it becomes a quick release carbohydrate without the whole of the grain being used. White bread was 'invented' hundreds of years ago and seen as a rich persons bread at the time because the increased processes needed to strip the grain to make white bread made it more expensive. I would advise you to buy wholegrain bread and just ensure LO takes in a bit more water with the meal, which will see the increased fibre through her no problem.

hth

Lisa xx

Thanks everyone I would much prefer to give her wholemeal bread than white bread, its taken me 7 years to convert hubby so I dont want all my hard work to go down the drain cause he's getting a taste for white bread again as well.

Thanks for the meal ideas going to try a few this week so will see how we get on.

haha im glad im not the only one who finishes LOs meals off when they dont quiet eat it all. :oops: You could always leave the crusts on? I give kyran his toast with the crusts and he manages them fine. I no hes fine with eating harder things like pitta bread so i no he can manage crusts.

valentine said:
Personally I give brown bread. I won't eat white bread myself so can't bring myself to give it to DD very often. We definitely don't have any kind of constipation problem and never have.

For lunches, I make and freeze slices of 'baby pizza' - wholemeal pittas with tomato puree, mozzarella or other cheese, mushroom/ham/onion/pepper/etc topping. I don't think you can freeze these, but I also serve eggy bread, beans on toast (low salt/sugar ones) - she just picks the beans up (messy!), sandwiches, ricecakes and mashed avocado/homemade houmous, breadsticks and some kind of dip - just realised mine are all very bready and that's what you don't want - eeek! Hmmm - I shall put my thinking cap back on!

Valentine Xxx

I was going to have a go at the pizza fingers they sound yummy.

I couldnt eat dd left overs because they are usualy on the floor and the dog has them or squashed all over the high chair and herself. :rotfl:

We only have brown/wholemeal bread as white bread gives me EVIL heartburn :twisted: Ellie has the same as us although sometimes I do buy her the milk loaf x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back