Which car would you buy?? Opinions appreciated

Redshoes

Reaction score
We have the opportunity to spend £1,700 on a car, but we can't decide :think: The main points we are definitely wanting though are;

5door
1.2 or less
small (ie corsa, clio)
Must be able to fit a dog in boot :D
We don't want a Punto, Fiesta or Saxo

Which car would you recommend?
All opinions appreciated, I know very little about cars :lol:

Volkswagen Polo

Edit: Don't buy a Clio! Renaults although look nice are very unreliable - We have 1 in nearly everyday at our garage with a problem or 2!

I'd suggest a Volkswagen, Ford or Vauxhall for reliability!

I have my driving lessons in a VW polo and I really enjoy driving it. I also own a VW classic Beetle and my OH drives a VW T25.

You can't go wrong with VW!

Ive had 2 Seat Ibizas and I think they are great (but they are actually VW Polo's underneath :lol: )

I have had a toyota, well my oh has and it was one of the most reliable cars we have ever had!
we ha a corolla and it was fantastic! now we have a shitty mondeo and go ihate it.

We used to have a ford mondeo si until the o/h wrote (sp) it off :x but now we have a fiat marea estate which is much more better and bigger for us :)

I have always had vauxhalls and i can honestly say i have never had a problem with them at all.
We have a corsa now and its nippy and realible and hardly costs a thing to run.

I used to have a Corsa i'd def say get one of those. I've got a Renault Megane now :evil: I don't like it.

I miss my Corsa :cry:

i have a 1.4 16v clio atm and love it (no problems in the 7 months iv had it touch wood) and my OH has a fiesta ST.
THe clio i find is cheap to run and i like how it drives.
The Fiesta ST, not thats a different story lol... its a 2lt engine and very powerful but god it eats fuel!! OH put £20 in yesterday and £10 of it has gone already just running his son about! lol

We have a Skoda Fabia. They are the cheaper version of the Volkswagen - i.e. they are Skodas but produced by VW. We've had ours for a while and it is very reliable. My mum has the same make and model and she has had hers about 5 years and she has only had one problem with it when someone took her bumper off so not the cars fault. Its not 'cool' though and you will probably get the piss taken because its a Skoda but who cares.

I'd say a Toyota of some sort.
I recently converted from Ford to toyota (we have a Yaris) and I love it.
Really reliable and economic.

skoda fabia :D

if you can get one for that money i'd really recommend them :)

VW Polo is always a good bet. Nothing fancy but you'll get some decent ones for your price range. £1700 will get you a really decent motor IMHO.

We have a 1.4 VW Golf and its really good on fuel. You could get one of those also for your money. Slightly bigger and roomier inside than a Polo. Not sure there is a 1.2 model in that age range/price bracket though.

I have a Clio, I bought it new 3 years ago and I've never had any problems with it at all :)

I would go with Clio.

As far as small cars go, I've had Renault 5, clio, corsa & polo.

The ones I found the most reliable were the Renault. Same with my best friend, she has had clios now for the last 8 years & loves them, no hassle & no problems :)

Thankyou so much for your experience ladies :hug: :hug: :hug: we are seriously considering a VW Polo, so hopefully we'll see one when we go car hunting next week :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back