Which baby carrier is the best?

joannec777

Reaction score
I use the bus and tube alot, so I think a baby carrier is more suitable than a pushchair (nowadays its hard to find a gentleman to help you carry the pushchair up the stair, I help a lady the other day and I nearly break my back :( ), any suggestion on a best baby carrier?

Hi,

I think you'll find lots of different answers! I've tried a ring sling which was brilliant upto about 3 months when he just got too heavy for me however I tried to carry him in it. I then tried the Mothercare three way carrier but again that hurt my shoulders when he was heavier. I now have an Ergo baby carrier and I absolutely love it. He is a year now and about 22lbs but I can carry him in it for hours. It goes on the front, on the hip or on the back and is supposed to go upto 40lbs. The hip support is the key I think as the weight really does get carried around the waist not the shoulders. It has a little zip pouch in the front which I use for essentials and a head thingy for if they fall asleep but that's never happened to us! I tend to have him on the front as he loves being at head height to everyone. I've used it on buses and trains. They aren't cheap but I think they're worth it- I wish I'd only bought this one actually as you can get a little insert so that you can use it from birth although there was something rather nice and dramatic about my black ring sling! My advice would be to try as many as you can out to see how they work for you

Here is a photo of him in the Ergo, he's wincing because of the gale blowing on Clevedon Pier! I've got my hand under him because I like cuddling him when he's on my front (sometimes the only time I manage to get one!) but you actually have both hands totally free with it on:-

slingclevedon.jpg

+++

i have the mothercare 4 way carrier. alex is a year next week and i still use it for the bus 3 times a week! you def need your hands free when you are trying to lug a bag and a pushcair as well as the baby!

i love mine as you can wear it on your back too (although you need someone else around to do that to help get them on & off) and it has a newborn head support, dribble bibs (a godsend when i am going to work after i drop him off!) and a dummy holder! they thought of it all with this one!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we're going for a baby Bjorn, we know a few people who have them and have been given good reports :D

i originally had a tomy fleecy one which never felt very comfortable and nathan- being a big lad- grew out of it quickly. i have a Kari Me sling now and i love it and nathan does. it feels sooo much more secure and comfy. it looks like a pain to get on but its really not and it goes from newborn to like 4 or something ....value for money i say. have a read on their website i really recommend them.

Thea is only 8 weeks old but i have turned into the sling lady - i have only used her pushchair once.

We have a babyhawk which is great, a ringsling which i think is comfortable but Thea doesnt like, a coory carry sling from freedomslings which is ok, and two brightsparks coorie slings one in polar fleece and one in cotton which we both love! The brightsparks slings are by far the easiest to use.

Richard carrys her in the babyhawk and the freedom sling too as they are totally adjustable.

i use a sling and i love it

this is How i usually carry harley
beach.jpg

sorry about my big orange bra :oops: but once he is tired he snugles up to me
x.jpg

We have a pouch sling from Freedom slings that my OH loves its camoulflage and loads of dads stop him and ask where he got it. I'm a bit of a short arse and it hangs down too far even though its adjustable and feels heavy on my shoulder. I love my Bjorn as it is so easy to get on and off, Leorah likes me to carry her all evening so its handy when my DH isn't home.

I have also won a tomy carrier off ebay for 99p which my Mum will bring me on Saturday, that also has the dummy bit and a pocket etc so I am looking forward to seeing what that's like. It is so easy to get carried away buying slings and carriers and every person and baby has a different preference so if you can try and borrow them off friends first so you can make a good decision :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back