When will she know her name????

Chrissy1

Reaction score
Everytime I try to call her by her name Poppy she just thinks I'm making funny noises and laughs at me!!! If she's looking away she won't look at me when I say her name but if I'm looking at her saying it she just thinks it's hilarious :?

I know she's only 4 months but at what age will she start to understand that's her name and start looking at me when I say it????

Hi :wave: my little girl is 6 months and ive just noticed that she has started to look when i say her name. :D

I read somewhere that you should use their name every time you try to attract their attention and eventually they will associate it with themselves. Oscar answers to Ozzy but only when I say it, so I think that tone and pitch might be a factor in it too. To be honest, the amount of nicknames we have for him, it isn't surprising that he is a bit confused as to what his name is :oops: :lol:

DD doesn't know her name but to be honest I don't know how often we say it to her. I tend to call her Kitten and although she responds to that by being excited it's because of the tone rather than because it's her name.

To be honest, having a name for yourself is quite a complex concept and I am surprised to hear that there are babies who understand it is their name. To a baby, the world is an understandably self-centred place so there is no need for her to have a sound that she associates as her as everything is about her.

Lola-Mae looks when you call her name! Not sure she knows its her name but she knows its a word we use for her KWIM? :D

lea m said:
Lola-Mae looks when you call her name! Not sure she knows its her name but she knows its a word we use for her KWIM? :D

Yes that makes sense :) It's a sound that mummy makes to get her attention (and she loves mummy so that makes it an even better sound :D )

kalia said:
lea m said:

Yes that makes sense :) It's a sound that mummy makes to get her attention (and she loves mummy so that makes it an even better sound :D )
Exactly!! :D :D

I think Emma knows her name now - it was 10 months for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back