Naps after a certain time - I feel cruel stopping her?

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
Poppy sleeps 12-13 hours through the night so I know I shouldn't really be worrying about this, but I was a little worried that her bedtime is too late. Her normal bedtime is usually around 8.30pm, mainly because this is when she seems to start getting tired. We did have it at 7pm for ages, but more recently she just won't go to sleep at this time so we started keeping her up a bit later. She has a nap around 5pm every day and will nap for around 30 - 40mins then, so this is probably why she's not tired until a bit later.

But I would feel really cruel stopping her from having a nap, so I don't stop her. I know I wouldn't like it if I was falling asleep and someone came and kept me awake. So I guess I'm looking for reassurance that her having a later bedtime isn't going to cause any problems in the future? I quite like the baby-led parenting way of doing things, it just makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I dont think there is any prob with letting her have a nap at 5ish & 8.30 isn't too late to be going to bed. If it was 10pm for example it might cause probs in the future. If LO had to get up early for nursery/school for example. I would stick to doing it the way you are & play it by ear, if she starts getting grumpy at 8.30, try putting her down at 7.30.

Kayden has a nap around 5 & goes to bed at 6/7. I know he's a bit younger but the nap doesn't stop him sleeping at all. And my eldest, she would often have a late nap & go to bed at 7pm fine (She was always religiously at 7pm)

:)

My lo has had the same sleep pattern from being tiny, he is now 11 months and I figured if he's happy leave it. I wouldn't worry in sure it will work itself out.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

emma naps at 5 on the dot! she still goes to bed at 7, but wakes at 6.30/7. i thought that the late nap was causing her to rise earlier so tried to change it but gave up after just one attempt as she clearly knows what she wants.

owen used to nap at 5ish until about 10 months. used to go to bed 7.30/8ish. his bedtime then became a bit earlier when he dropped this late nap but he ended up having a longer pne at lunch, eventually :)

Jack used to sleep at 5pm until last Friday when he decided bed time was at 11pm!!! I now only let him have 2 naps during the day. He usually wakes at 7.30am so will have a nap at 9-9.30am for about an hour. The I keep him awake as long as possible, usually until 1.30-2pm-ish and he'll then have a longer 90min-2hr sleep, then thats it until bedtime which is usually 8pm. You do what you feel is right for you and Poppy. If you think she could cope without her 5pm nap then don't let her sleep x

She's young enough to change it to a better time in even a years time.. If she wants to sleep let her :) maybe gradually bring bedtime forward if u need to? By 15mins every day?

It's totally up to you - personally I couldn't keep Arthur up that late because I enjoy my baby free evenings with my
Hubby - and it Means I can actually go out from 7 and know whoever I left him
With wouldn't have to do his night routine. I know I can put him down at 7 after his bath and fee and that's it until
Morning.

But if you're happy and don't want to change it, I wouldn't x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back