• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When Weaning how long before they do it properly

Zodiac

Reaction score
Ok - so I've just started offering my LO a little bit of baby rice the last few days at lunch time...

He opens his mouth to accept the spoon,and doesn't seem concerned with consistency etc. but keeps pushuing his tongue out, so most of it ends up down his chin. :wall:

How long before he gets the hand of swallowing? :?

I dont know hun. Do you think he is ready for weaning. Im not making any judgement on weaning times, i was an early weaner. I was thinking that maybe if he was really ready the tongue would be taking it in more.

I cant really remember what my kids tongues done though :think:

He has to learn about texture, temperature, smell and taste, as well as how to use his tongue with solids :lol: when weaning LO's will often play with their food at first before actually eating it, its a big change from fluids for months afterall. He will learn though, don't worry, just allow him experimentation time and be patient, and enjoy!! :hug:

Th pushing of it with his tongue is normal, they all do it to get used to the spoon, youl have a while of it yet - weaning is such a huge step for a baby. Just let him enjoy it and be patiant, i used to get a bit irritated to see lovely food going everwhere apart from her mouth when i weaned my DD!

leland struggles with baby rice but loves fruit purees , he did the tongue thing too but getting better now

remember its just for fun atm... let him discover food... its not really of any nutritional value at this stage. He'll eventually get the hang of it.. just keep him full of milk still :)

its his tongue thrust reflex, as he gets older he loses this. I agree with lauramumof2 perhaps he's not quite ready yet? Mabe leave it a few more weeks and try again to see if its going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back