He's not having the spoon!!

Redshoes

Reaction score
I know Isaac's still young so I'm really not concerned about him eating baby rice yet at all, but wondered if he will get used to a spoon eventually, as he really hates it, it makes him gag a lot so have to stop before he's even really eaten/drank any baby rice :(
Also, the runny, watery consistency seems a little 'pointless' as he just spits it out so retains none and I don't feel it's really 'teaching' him to eat and eat something more solid than fluid :roll: How thick can I make the rice for him at his age?
And other than rusks, are there any foods I can let him taste? Not eat, but just dab on my finger for him to lick and see if he likes the taste? Lots of questions there :D He still loves his formula and boob so I'm not concerned like I said, just interested for future experimenting with the getting to eat things change :)

It sounds to me like he's telling you he's just not ready.

There are lots of food purees he can taste at the start of weaning.

Apple
Sweet Potato
Pear
Carrot

There's just a few examples, Boil 'em up and mash 'em down! You're right in acknowledging he's still very young, maybe as he approcaches 6 months he'll be more ready to try differet tastes. You can mix the purees with baby rice to make it more palatable :D

I don't know much about this yet RedShoes, but if Isaac will let you, you could weight until 6 months ish and go down the baby led weaning (mostly finger foods, not as many purees) route?

Valentine xxx

I have started Freya on rice and she has had rusk, she is also still young but was only going three hours between feeds and wouldnt take any more milk, She was also watching us eat intently, it was so cute. She is getting used to the spoon, but obviously, she has never done this before so it wont come naturally!
Try a really shallow spoon and at first I made the rice really quite runny and have made the consistency a little thicker more recently.
They say to only introduce one food at a time, just incase they react.
http://site320.theclubuk.com/en/Publica ... DH_4117080,
This is a link to the department of health weaning leaflet, it looks quite helpfull. You know Isaac the best and will be able to judge when he is ready.
Good luck! :hug:

my pediatrician always suggests starting with a little juice on a spoon - apple juice is prob best, as it is sweet - you can use chemist baby juice or unsweetened if you cant make it yourself. It is easier for babs to get used to the spoon without needing to get used to the consistency at the same time.

Lisa

In the 1st year the solids are only a supplement to the milk I know it is easier said than done but don't worry about things.

it makes him gag a lot so have to stop before he's even really eaten/drank any baby rice

tihs is one of the signs he isn't ready for weaning...if he is still hungry look at increasing his milk.

I never offered D a spoon until i started weaing at 17 weeks the first time he didn't know why i was pointing a spoon at him but then he got it the next time.

why are you offering him baby rice so young ?

sorry if you have posted elsewhere about this?

Thanks for the replies everyone :hug:

I'm not intending on forcing anything on him, and have only tried him with the spoon and babyrice a few times, and have stopped as like I said he doesn't like, so I agree he's not ready. As for juices, I'd try him with juiced apples, but not going to give him any of those yet, and not pre-maid juices, just fresh produce I can choose for him. I am definitely hoping for an Isaac led weaning but as he can't talk I have to try now and again I feel, with safe foods/fluids :)

cloud, we originally started to see if he would be interested because he was a happy feeder of a LO, and has been on hungrier baby since little, and his appetite seemed to be growing. So after asking other Mums on here we decided to give the rice a go, as some LO's take to it sooner than others.

Obviously we stopped and will leave it alone a while now but try him again if we feel he may be interested, his feeding has settled down again now, it was probably one of those pescy growth spurts, is that the HV's answer to every feeding question btw? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back