When to tell children

beth3735

Reaction score
I have 2 Girls, 1 of them is 4 in september the other was 2 in April. I havent told them about the baby yet. I have noticed a few people mention their children already know. Im not sure when the best time to tell them is?

I thought i might wait till i have a bump so they can see as 9 months is a long time for a 3 yr old to wait. Also was worried about things happening.

I might tell them in August or maybe on my eldests girls bday in sept 20th but im sure i will def have a bump by then and she would probably of asked why.
:? :D

Wait till you have a bump and your 20 week scan then show them the picture and ask them what they think it is - have a little game out of it! its fun and thwey will prob get as excited as my lo did!

i wondered this too as we havent told my husbands son who is 6. I wouldnt say on a childs birthday as they might be jelous especially if you steal their thunder on thier birthday.

I like the scan idea, guess what it is, my fiend did that and they were saying your heart etc etc took them ages to guess, sweet! :D

Yeah i have been uming and arring over the bday thing. I Should have my 20 week scan either the week her bday is or the week after. We are going camping at haven for her bday so i think i will definatly leave it till after then.

It would be such a shame to tell them and something happen but there is only a certain amount of time you can hide it from them :rotfl:

My eldest teacher was preg and had the baby. So she now thinks anyone with big tummy has a baby in there. Even her grandad :? :doh:

last time i was pregnant but i miscarried at 12 weeks,we told our eldest son quite early on and he was so upset that he still mentions it now.
So this time we are leaving it untill after we have had the first scan n then as long as things are ok then we are gonna tell him n show him the pic.
i wouldnt wanna upset him again as they don't really understand that sometimes these things just happen for no reason and we don't realise how much things affect them sometimes!

My eldest niece got told about her sibling being on the way quite early on. Partly this was because my sister had quite bad morning sickness and Kez thought Mummy was ill and partly because Nat wanted her to be involved as much as possible as early as possible to try and head off any possible jealousy at the past. It must have worked, because very soon Kez was proudly talking about how much she was going to help out with 'our baby' etc. We also got lots of lovely books from Borders to help her understand.

Mind you, Kez was with Nat at her first doctor's appointment, so she couldn't really avoid letting her know very early!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back