When to start expressing?

Emmamb

Reaction score
Got my pump sterilised and ready but not sure wen to start expressing-all the books say different but 4-6 weeks seems the advised time but i know I must have expressed sooner than that wiv my last son cos I went on a Xmas night out wen he was 3 weeks old.

i think you can express straight away. Think about all those that have premature babies and express their milk for them when they are in the NICU. Plus my mum expressed stright away so my dad could help with the feeds after her c-section.x

I was told at the hospital by the MW that as soon as the real milk comes after a few days you can start expressing. So that's what I did with my first son as he wouldnt BF for the first 3 months...

The midwife told me not to give him a bottle til he was 3 weeks to avoid confusion between boob n bottle, I waited until about 4 weeks x

I started expressing and giving Isla a bottle just before she was 4 weeks.

I've been expressing since she was 5 days old and have built up an awesome supply in my freezer! I get 3 oZ every time. I do it every 2 days. X

I have only given her 2 bottles when I had a sore nipple. Of expressed milk. X

I expressed from day 1 as my LO had feeding problems. its fine in terms of your milk supply but you just got to be careful about giving bottles. BUT needs must, and my LO upgraded from syringe to bottle and then when he was 6 weeks old latched on perfectly so it doesnt always confuse them. weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision for your situation I think. Good luck!

Hi,

I expressed and gave Freddie a bottle when he was two and a half weeks old. The recommended time for bottle feeding I think is 3 weeks but unless we did that my wedding (when he was 2 weeks and 6 days old) would not have happened!!

He was fine with latching on after a bottle but then again each babys different.

I haven't expressed at all yet! To be honest it's not something that's even crossed my mind as LO is always with me anyway. I supposed I should start thinking about it now he's getting teeth lol

ouch! a woman on my ward in postnatal had a baby born with teeth and she was BFing!!! :faint:

born with teeth?! blimey!! I've already felt the teeth, OH thought it would be fun to disrupt Cahal while he was feeding (he had finished really though, was just messing about!) and he just rolled my nipple between his gums the little devil, yooowwwwsers!!!

I just held onto my nipples reading that OUCH!

i expressed from day one and lo has had breast and bottle from day one due to low birth weight and paed doctors feed regime whilst in hospital and it hasnt confused her but i know it can for some babies x

the girls in hospital who were breast feeding expressed almost straight away, i can still hear the expressing machines in my sleep lol xx

I dont miss the sounds of those machines... every 3 hours for 20 mins, for 8 weeeeeeeks!!! No wonder im a nutjob now! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back