When should I start maternity leave?

mustard

Reaction score
My boss wants to know what my thoughts are what date I will start maternity leave but I don't really know. I feel pretty healthy at the moment but it is very difficult to predict how I will feel in 10 or 15 weeks. I work in an opticians so not exactly manual labout but I am on my feet a lot. What is everyone else thinking?

I'm the same as u! Half office based but going to try and work to 36 weeks!! but like you goin with the flow at bit xx

i said i was gonna go mid feb but then changed my mind cos i pretty much hate my work so im taking off on 1st jan, 9 weeks before im due lol

I am due 25th December and last day at work is 9th December x

Everyone is different I think. I work in retail and finished work at 30 weeks, this is because being on my feet all day got too much and my feet were starting to swell too much because of it. Do they provide you with a chair? You can always choose a later date and change the date to earlier if you need to. I think most companys prefer 4 weeks notice. But if you are to go off work sick within 11 weeks before baby is due your company can legally start your maternity leave from the date you went off sick xx

I'm starting Mat leave on 26th December and I'm due on 21st January so about 36 weeks x

Wow you all seem to be working pretty late I was thinking stopping at 32 to 34 weeks so around the beginning of jan. Maybe it will depend on the weather.

Everyone is different I think. I work in retail and finished work at 30 weeks, this is because being on my feet all day got too much and my feet were starting to swell too much because of it. Do they provide you with a chair? You can always choose a later date and change the date to earlier if you need to. I think most companys prefer 4 weeks notice. But if you are to go off work sick within 11 weeks before baby is due your company can legally start your maternity leave from the date you went off sick xx
It sounds like your job is pretty similar to mine and I do already find my feet getting sore at the end of day (I have switched to very low comfortable clarks shoes (sexy!!). I do have a chair but it isn't practical to use it a lot I have to move around to help patients and because I am short when I sit down I can't reach anything.

Im planning on working right up to D last day they let me, id rather have the extra time off with d baby

Guess maybe give him a rough idea and tell him you will give a more definite date when you get closer

I'm due 16 Jan and finishing up 23 Dec. I'll be just about 37 weeks but annual leave and public hols take up the first week cause of Xmas. So mat leave kicks in 4 Jan when I'll be 38 weeks :) xx

You don't have to give work a decision until your 25th week of pregnancy so tell him it's none of his business.

I wasn't gonna go until 36 weeks despite being a nurse which is mega hard work. But alot of things, including stress, financial issues, and the fact I get to return at 16hrs a week have led me to the decision to leave at 29 weeks which is 5th of November :dance:so sooooon

Im working up until my due date! I am office based and get to sit down all day so I guess it doesnt really bother me as much as other jobs.

I don't actually know if I am allowed to do that but I have given my boss the form with the dates I am due and date I want to go on maternity leave and he has said he will get back to me on it...

x

im gonna try and work as close to due date as poss, coz my maternity pay is horrendous (SMP only) and i want as long with the baby as poss. im also aware a lot of first time pregnancies are late to deliver, my sis was 2 wks late!
got three weeks leave to take tho which i will put near my due date so i can get paid to chill :)

my job is stressful and 12hour days so im leaving at 32 weeks the first two weeks being annual leave. I also have personal reasons my mum has cancer and its causing me stress working 40hours making a baby and feeling guilty im not around much for her so im counting the days really to relax and chill with my mum

I'm leaving as early as i can- my job is all manual labour tho and i'm finding it very hard to cope... about three weeks left until i finish and i'm due January 19Th but even the doctor thinks it leaving it too late because of the job i do, i think he wants me to sign off sick but i'm not... He said that the pregnancy regulations are not very good when it comes to people in the construction industry because its more risky anyway with the chemicals, solvents, lifting, etc but the rules are the same for everyone there are no exceptions or leniency --- I do wish i had gone into office work when i left school!
I think it just goes on how you feel and what you do at work, If my blood pressure raises (i'm High risk) then i will leave even earlier but i hope it doesn't but my and LO's health comes first.

Think it depends on how much time you are taking after the baby is born!! Im not going back to work after the baby as im on a contract (have said I can call em once im ready but dont think it will be worth going back for 2 days!) Im going on mat leave on dec 2nd which is when im 33 1/2 weeks!! Really looking forward to it now. I dont do a manual job but I do have to do a bit of walking and I do get tired from it!!
xxxx

Think my maternity leave will start a week before my due date. But I plan on using all my remaining holiday before so will be finishing about 37 and a half weeks.xx

I'm due in bleakest winter so I am finishing at 37 weeks Xmas week. but am taking 3 weeks hol beforehand. I scared of going into labour whilst stuck on the motorway commuting. I'd finish Earlier if my mat leave package was any cop.

I'm planning on leaving at 36 weeks and taking two weeks holiday pay before mat leave kicks in at 38 weeks. I'm office based and my work are pretty flexible so I'm hoping it's going to work out that way. But I'm suffering with SPD so i may need to leave earlier.

Hi, I work an hour and a half away from home (on a good traffic day...M25) so I'm going at 36 weeks. My worst fear is to be stuck at work when I go into labor, but only get basic MP so don't want to go to early.
It means my last day will be the 23rd Dec but with the christmas break it won't start till the 2nd January - I'm due the 31st.
I can not wait!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back